Thread: Desert Canyon - Dark Sun Battlemaps

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Novice

@Jacktannery thanks for the input its appreciated. I messed around a bit with the heightmaps for rocks and I see what you mean the higher points need to be softened a bunch or it comes out too metallic as you said. I'll have to play around with it more. Neyjour's method does work very nicely perhaps I'll just have to take your advice and make up a bunch of stock I can use. Thanks for the mini tutorial on it =)

@Ben Thanks for the compliment, though the grass version loses most of the cool detail on the canyon making it maybe not worth the trouble to create the height map in the first place =)

The initial desert one took me about three hours to make, but two of that was finding a suitable photograph and figuring out how to use the CrazyBump software to generate the bumpmap. After that its as easy as putting it in Photoshop, desaturating the map, brush in darker shadows where needed, put the desert layer on top in Multiply blend mode, adjust the exposure to brighten it up, add some vegetation objects, and throw the rocks on.
    Last edited by Invictys; 06-26-2013 at 06:12 PM.
    Photoshop newbie =)

My Finished Maps