Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 LastLast

Thread: The Solar System: September, AD 15605

Wip

Five days ago was the first birthday of this thread! OMG! Is there a Procrastination Clinic available in this Guild?

Last night the ideas were asploding in my head for the next & last stop on the tour: Mars. I pre-titled the next chapter "Fear & Terror" (guess why, lol) and I had a cool idea for one of Mars's moons for the next cover, which works into a story thread that I established wayyyyyy back ...

Anyway, long story short, I think I need to include MOONS in this map. I mean, seriously, what good is the Solar System without moons? Earth has quite a characteristic one; the first stop in our tour was a moon of Saturn; and the Galilean moons of Joviter, omg, who can leave those out?

So now that I've stopped dicking about with the 4 planetary ring systems, I find I still have the moons ahead of me. :\

I won't do *all* the moons, of course. There's literally dozens. I'll have them mostly turned off on the map, but some turned on. I dunno which yet. Whichever ones are super cool, I guess.

Also, I added some specular highlights on the planets, which I think makes them look kinda like painted wooden balls, which I think is cool and just what I want for this piece!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	render-2009-07-10..cg.png 
Views:	50 
Size:	629.4 KB 
ID:	14749  

Oh, and I put Ceres in there properly, with wings.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Looking forward to that mars cover
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected zhar2's Avatar

May i just make a slight constrictive suggestion?

The planets seem a bit glossy, you may wanna make some specular maps, oh and some lack total atmospheric glow, you could do that aswell.

I considered that, but I am going more for a "marbles on a track" feeling.
    It's kinda vague in my head and I dunno if I can pull it off.

From the beginning, I threw (most) realism out the window. Scale was the first to go: not just orbital radii, but planet sizes too.

What cant you pull of?, if it is the atm glow i can prepare a general file for you to modify to suit your needs.

No, I dunno if I can pull off the weird "toy" effect I am trying to imagine.

What do you use for atm glow? I use a falloff map in 3DSmax. I think it worked OK on the Midnight City cover. I tweaked it in Photoshop though, and added the sun-haze edge.

yup a falloff map & a few gradient ramps to control atm color and density.

umm good luck with the toy effect, i dont gather what u exactly mean.

Neither do I. LOL.

Wip

I managed to laze away the entire day just dinking with the moons. I *have* to stop this part of the project and move on. I just hope I don't get dragged back here for more dinking. I'ma die dinking, I know it. It's worse than procrastination. At least when you procrastinate, you know it. When you dink, you think you're actually working! CG needs a Dinking Clinic.

Anyway, I pray pray pray that this is the final set of astronomical bodies for the map. Now I can move onto dinking around with the layout & other elements!

Also, I had planned to put wayyyyy more asteroids than will fit. So I reduced them down to the ones I picked here. I included some smaller ones instead of some larger ones. I think they'll be options in a menu somewhere maybe.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	render 2009-07-11 2000px.png 
Views:	51 
Size:	1.89 MB 
ID:	14768  

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 LastLast