Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: The Solar System: September, AD 15605

Houston, we have a problem! (Sorry, you knew I had to say that eventually.)

But seriously ... I did double-check my Starry Night data against the AlphaCentaure screen shots, and they DO NOT JIBE. Sorry for the poor quality of the screenshot in some places, but you can read it if you look close. I did.

Now, here's the thing. This is why I became a serious, dedicated skeptic a few years back. In general, we do not experience things first-hand. We get told about them, we get data from sources that are at best first or second hand but sometimes have gone through the-Devil-knows-whose hands (and agendas). Where did Starry Night and AlphaCentaure get their epoch tables and algorithms? Who wrote the calculation functions? WHOM SHALL WE TRUST?

I think I will download a couple of those other freeware astro proggies and see if I can get some other reports for planetary positions in September 15605. But ... still ... same question: whom do we trust? Maybe half of those programs are using a particular set of data or formulae that contain errors, and even though I get shown the same thing by 3 programs, they're all wrong. You know, like, "Oh sure, that's because of the Schmarks dataset from 1982, everybody knows he was getting a divorce and he had a drug problem, he totally screwed up his math, but it got printed in the journals before anybody caught it and printed retractions and corrections, and people who don't know any better are STILL using those tables, there must be a hundred astronomy programs out there that don't work because of this data -- they're all wrong! LOL!" ... And let's not leave out the fact that I, as cosmically aware and infallible as I am, might not even have used the programs correctly.

I am probably going to trust Starry Night simply because it's more evolved. It just looks more trustworthy. I know that means basically nothing. But at some piont, you just have to decide whom to trust, and just move on.

Here's how the planets compare between my Starry Night ecliptic longitudes and my Alpha Centaure screenshots ...

Mercury pretty close
    Venus pretty close
    Earth pretty close
    Mars a little off
    Jupiter way off
    Saturn way off
    Uranus pretty close
    Neptune pretty close
    Pluto way off
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	houston.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	118.9 KB 
ID:	5061  

I think I will download a couple of those other freeware astro proggies and see if I can get some other reports for planetary positions in September 15605. But ... still ... same question: whom do we trust?
    On second thought, to hell with it. I'll go with Starry Night. I got better things to do with my time than triple-cross-check this data.

We're always told to get a second opinion in medical matters. But what if the first doctor was right, and the second one's wrong? Even a third opinion doesn't really help much: there are times when the majority's right, and times when it's wrong (bin thar dunit). Again, it comes down to where you place your trust. Don't tell me you never disregarded the adivce of "all your friends" and did something your own way, and afterwards you were glad you did. It happens!

Bottom line, I doubt any of us will be around in the year 15,605 ... nor will this map. Too bad, huh, on all counts.

I said I want to crop & rotate the system so it's not just concentric circles spreading from the middle of the page. I tried a few cropping rectangles, but I am not able to offset the sun sufficiently for my taste. It really has to go diagonally, not just off to one side, X but not Y.

I think the only option is to make up some new fictitious orbits beyond Sedna and position some objects out there, either natural or artificial, that expand my content in that direction, so the sun gets offset in the other direction. At least I'm at a stage where I can still dink with the orbits! I know full well that the orbit set will become immutable soon enough.

Name:	crops-Sedna.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	155.7 KB 
ID:	5070  

Well, that helped a little. I think this gets me with reach of the fudge factor, anyway.

Movin' on! ... what's next, I don't even know ... but I can't wait to do it!

MAPMAKING IZ DA BOM can I get a Amen.

Name:	crops-Umbris.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	90.1 KB 
ID:	5073  

... what's next, I don't even know ...
    • Planet icons
    • Asteroid icons
    • Asteroid kingdom heraldry
    • Private heraldry (eg. House Linzin @ Triton)
    • Legend
    • Orbit track graphics
    • Logarithmic scale for orbits (color spectrum?)
    • Zodiac boundaries
    • Zodiac icons
    • ??? Latitude indicators
    • ??? Orbit overlap (currently have no data!)
    • Moons
    • Moon menus
    • Planetary display menus
    • Options menu (units, scale, etc.)
    • Place asteroids per longitudes
    • Place artifical objects (incl. Oort-1 station)
    • Trojans
    • ??? and don't forget those "to be investigated" links!
    I always forget tons of stuff on these stupid lists ... but this ought to be enough to keep me busy for an hour or two.

Trojans????
    And Greeks.

Okay Toff, as you look to be the expert, something I have wondered for a bit, do the asteriods, which I now know are Trojans, Greeks, and even Hildas, rotate around the sun at the same rate as Jupiter, or does Jupiter go crashing into the odd one now and again, and how would one transit such a thing if it did shuffle them around once and awhile,,,I know I could probably look it up myself, but I have an inkling your answer would be more entertaining.
    SeerBlue, interstellar rock. on the knowledge scale
    SeerBlue is me, but more importantly the Four Happy Carpet Orcs +2 (FHCO +2) are Lizzy (BumbleMouse, 16), Race (Raith Eliathy, 11), Roy (Ol' Horsehair, 9), and Lena Marie (Lemur, 6) Kimi (Whurm,2), and Sachiko (MoMo,1)
    All creative inspiration is theirs, from characters to maps to tells, I only fill in the details.

A friend of mine once called me "a jack of all trades but master of none." I think he nailed it. I dabble in many things but I'm no expert anywhere.

Objects at L4 and L5 points, commonly called Trojans (and there are a LOT of them, because any 2 bodies have L points; Mars has Trojans; Saturn and her moons have a couple Trojan systems), orbit at the same speed as the parent. Jupiter's Trojans follow along behind Jupiter, and the Greeks precede Jupiter, equidistant, equivelocitous.

The Hildas are different. I had never heard of them before. They apparently move around between Jupiter's L4 and L5 areas (not points! just CLOSE to the points!) and some other spot of equilibrium on the far side of the sun from Jupiter ... but in a faster, closer orbit. I don't profess to understand this at all. If they orbit faster than Jupiter, how can they "congregate" opposite the sun or near L4 and L5? Don't make no sense to me. I hope to find time to read about it further.

The band New England had a song called "L5" but their biggest hit, "Don't Ever Wanna Lose Ya," is a way mo betta song.

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast