Thread: Random Density Map GIMP Script

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Cool. I'll have to try this. It looks like you might be able to use the alpha-and-color option to cause interesting variation in tree(or mountain or whatever) color. For instance, with trees, create a layer with a narrow variation of green shades. (Possibly use a greyscale fractal and gradient map with a narrow gradient(say dark green to light green)).

Another idea I have is to make an initial color layer that varies only in hue and saturation, and apply a variation in value by multiplying with the shaded relief from an HF.

Then you paint in your desired forest density in alpha.

Might be a good way to add an interesting forest texture to a shaded relief map.

I was initially thinking of using top-down trees for a realistic look, but I think this might work best all symbolical, with iso trees simply as a symbol saying, "forest here."

If nothing else, this is making GIMP look like a more and more viable alternative to CC for "symbol"-type maps.
    Last edited by su_liam; 07-07-2008 at 01:46 PM.

One limitation is that it doesn't respect active brush scaling, so all images are drawn at the original scale of the selected brush. Initially, I hoped to have an options to paint smaller versions based on the density map, but dynamic brush scaling isn't exposed in the scripting API (yet).

-Rob A>

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Oh my... this is very cool... an excellent tool!

I agree. Great tool Rob, I'm going to try it as soon as possible.

Torq
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    One limitation is that it doesn't respect active brush scaling, so all images are drawn at the original scale of the selected brush. Initially, I hoped to have an options to paint smaller versions based on the density map, but dynamic brush scaling isn't exposed in the scripting API (yet).

-Rob A>
    This is a bit like saying:

"I've found a way of teaching my dog how to play chess, but he's not very good as he's unable to master the Vienna Gambit."

So does any of this port over to the PhotoShop tools at all? I know there are scatter settings on brushes, would it be similar to that?
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by RPMiller View Post
    So does any of this port over to the PhotoShop tools at all? I know there are scatter settings on brushes, would it be similar to that?
    Nah - not at all

One of the "advantages" of GIMP over PS, is that any (power) user can easily program extra functions in via python or scheme scripts

I believe in PhotoShop, you can record actions, but can't easily program in pixel based functions.

-Rob A>

Hm... I could have sworn that PS has pixel based scripting. Looks like I may have to do some research...

Yup. I just confirmed it. PS has full pixel based scripting using Java it looks like. It has classes for every element in the window down to the pixels themselves apparently. Never tried it, but I knew it could be done.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.