Quote Originally Posted by BenZ View Post
Hi folks,

I was researching mapping software and ended up here..via a friendly reference on another forum.

For a little while I've been toying with the idea of making a wargame and that got me interested in cartographic software for map creation. I'm hoping to act like a monkey in the Guild and learn through observation, rather than just through experience.

For now I am looking out for info on what software might be best for my needs. The sort of map I want to build is pretty simply compared to some I've seen here! Something like a World in Flames 'style' map, like at http://www.bur.st/~akbrown/witp/images/Hex_2_sample.jpg but with more detail.

Look forward to poking around the forums. Pls feel free to post any thoughts

Ben
Welcome to the guild Ben! Tips for a beginner:

1) Go get GIMP, its free
2) go get Inkscape, it's free
3) go to the tutorial section and find RobA's Regional map tutorial. Stylistically, it is close to the map you referenced. You may also want to check a few "Playing with..." threads as several people have tried some different techniques base of the inspiration of RobA's tutorial that you might like the effect of.
4) get a tablet if you can afford it. It makes many things much easier once you get comfortable with it.

Start your map and post up a new thread with your work in progress. If you have any problems with the tutorial, just ask and we will try to help you out.

Joe