Quote Originally Posted by nolgroth View Post
Hi all,
I've been a lurker about these parts and I have to say that I really enjoy a lot of the maps I have seen. Many of the tutorials have been great too. As I love maps, it is no surprise that I have been experimenting with creating them. After a halted attempt at following RobA's "Artistic Region in GIMP" tutorial, I decided to start with something a little less grand. So I followed some instructions that I found here:
http://forums.rpghost.com/showthread...8&page=1&pp=25

And came up with the attached map. I've already started adapting techniques from other sources into this map and I hope to have the other "pieces" of the map finished soon. I have the XCF file and a non-labeled players' map as well, should anybody be interested.

Any comments or suggestions would be welcome. Thank you.

-James
Pretty good so far James. One thing you want to be careful with is the drop shadows. They make things look like they are floating above a surface in many cases. I would simply add a bevel to the background "gray" layer and this will make the "cut out" sections appear inset into the gray background. Also, everything looks raised except your doors. They look rather flat compared to the surrounding walls.

Others may have more tips(and probably better).

Joe