Thread: Earen - A Work In Progress

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Ditto what the others said. The humongous mountain in the west looks really nice, especially with lower peaks blended in. As other stated, the water texture looks a bit off and is distracting to my eyes. The only other thing you might want to play with is to see if you can get a taper on your river. It looks like it starts wholly formed at the foot of the mountains. The cliffs and gorges all look great.

Joe
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Man, I'll just go ahead and "ditto" what everyone else has said, and also, any chance you could do a tutorial on your style?

The Campaign Builders' Guild - Part of the Alliance of Creative Communities, the Campaign Builders' Guild is your home away from home while searching for tips, reviews, criticisms, helpful hints, and resources for building a wonderful campaign setting.

Turtles All the Way Down - Blogging about Building Campaigns.

DROOL!

I like the water texture, myself ... it looks like marble instead of water, but I like it. You might want to make it look a little less smooth, though, maybe a photoshop "render lighting" or something to bring the variations up as a texture. Maybe you should apply some perspective, also, so the top of the texture is scaled down compared to the bottom, you know, to make it slant like the rest of the map.

But I definitely think you need some kind of shading at the coasts. The land/water transition is too harsh.

That's really beautiful work, man. Cheers in keeping it monochromish, too. I like subdued palettes.

So you write, too? Where do you publish?

It was all done in photoshop nothing was hand drawn
    Hey, one can hand-draw in photoshop in the same way one can hand-draw with paper and pencil! (Sometimes better, in fact ... Eraser ≠ Undo!)

here we go

TREES:

With this small piece all i did was mesh together alot of them, after i took the eraser to shape my forests after i was done i outlined them with a brush of 2 px, then on layer options i set it to luminosity, duplicated the layer, then set the layer to color with a fill 36%

MOUNTAINS:

This is just an example of the mountains before being blended in, some retouched, some not, i know this is harder then actually making your own set of mountains from scratch but what can i say, its like making a puzzle, all u need to do is re size some of them and you have your mountain ranges.

SNOWY TERRAIN:

I used this texture for the snowy terrain of the north and on top of it all a layer with a fill of 13%, then i used a brush with white to give it the snow effect.

THE LAYOUT:

I made a layer, filled it with white i gave it a stroke of 2 px and used the polygonal lasso tool to cut out the world then with the eraser tool i rounded down some corners and smooth the border of the terrain.

to Toff: Will work on the shades of the coast, i write as a hobby, i pass it around to some friends who i know might enjoy it.

to everyone else: Thank you so much for the feedback i will put it to good use.

truly a stunning map, can't wait to see the finished version, beautiful work.

SeerBlue
    SeerBlue is me, but more importantly the Four Happy Carpet Orcs +2 (FHCO +2) are Lizzy (BumbleMouse, 16), Race (Raith Eliathy, 11), Roy (Ol' Horsehair, 9), and Lena Marie (Lemur, 6) Kimi (Whurm,2), and Sachiko (MoMo,1)
    All creative inspiration is theirs, from characters to maps to tells, I only fill in the details.

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Yeah, what they said... really great looking! Others have already offered critiques, and I have nothing more to add. It looks so much like a real drawing done by an ancient, skilled artist (well... I guess it is a real work of art done by a skilled artist... but you get what I mean) that I thought when I saw the river "why would he draw it that way?" then I realized it was probably because of the way it was done in photoshop instead of by hand...

Keep us posted as you do more

my biggest concern right now is the water... i wont move forward until i get a water texture i like and that blends in with ease, any suggestions on the water will be gratefully appreciated!

I actually like the water. The only thing I'd do is darken it a bit so that the land is emphasized by the contrast.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Quote Originally Posted by torstan View Post
    That's one of the nicest hand drawn maps I've seen on this site. I assume most of it is hand drawn rather than done with custom brushes?

A couple of minor niggles - the chasm to the SE looks like it should flood with water. Also, I'm not crazy about the sea texture but the land is spot on.

Good work!
    It was all done in photoshop nothing was hand drawn, but thanks for the compliments and i agree with you and the water, if anyone has any suggestions for the water texture please let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    Ditto what the others said. The humongous mountain in the west looks really nice, especially with lower peaks blended in. As other stated, the water texture looks a bit off and is distracting to my eyes. The only other thing you might want to play with is to see if you can get a taper on your river. It looks like it starts wholly formed at the foot of the mountains. The cliffs and gorges all look great.

Joe
    i must confess that the big mountain was formed using other bits of mountains, actually msot of the mountain ranges was done with little pieces, i will explain how i do it below. Also, i agree with the river ill have to work on that as well.