Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner ] Creating an old-school map in Gimp.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Torstan, tt is not the snap to grid toggle, it is the grid itself. When you change the grid spacing (at least in my version 2.6.4) you have to restart gimp, otherwise the snap to grid toggle continues to use the old spacing. I find it a pain to do this, as I often want to change the snap spacing while working (i.e. to get a 1/2 grid snap).

-Rob A>

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Just tested this in 2.6.4 running on windows XP media centre edition and it works fine. No problems at all with using configure grid to edit the spacing. Snaps to grid like a dream. How bizarre.

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    You have to restart gimp to get the grid preferences recognized.

I'd suggest using the grid of guides script instead, as you can set and clear them on the fly.

-Rob A>
    Something's broke in 2.6.6, at least the MacOSX build. I am able to run your script and it generates the guides but when I select "snap to guides" the paint brush doesn't snap. Luckily I have VMWare, too bad sourceforge.net seems to be borked right now. ;^o

Quote Originally Posted by claud9999 View Post
    Something's broke in 2.6.6, at least the MacOSX build. I am able to run your script and it generates the guides but when I select "snap to guides" the paint brush doesn't snap. Luckily I have VMWare, too bad sourceforge.net seems to be borked right now. ;^o
    Ah, I'm dumb. But perhaps my stupidity will save someone else the trouble...The trick I found is to turn up the "Snap Distance" in the "Tool Options" Preference panel. If you turn it up to 25, it snaps on all interactions, 15 is a reasonable medium, 8 is just too low for me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Snapshot 2009-07-10 06-13-01.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	99.6 KB 
ID:	14728  

Ah, that's a great find! I'd never have gone looking for it there. Thanks for posting the solution.

Post Cuboi's Slime Farm

Here's the sample mini-adventure, Cuboi's Slime Farm, wherein a Snaketongue Celebrant (in the Monster Manual under the Yuan-Ti section) has been growing a number of slimy creatures and teleporting humanoids to his little dungeon for experimentation. Puzzles, and a little fighting. Sure, not particularly realistic but heck.

The players start in the "cage" in the north-west without their goodies and with a snaketongue guard watching over them.

My first try of this was with two players at work (over lunch) wherein they made a deal with the snaketongue to give him gold in exchange for their freedom. Needless to say, the guard let them out and led them to the teleport room (where the four statues are) and then said, "I don't know how to operate this." (Only Cuboi knows how the teleporter works.) A little experimentation, and the blackscale was set free. The players backed out of the room and locked it from the outside (after all, Cuboi wouldn't have a teleportal room without some protection in case someone teleports without his authority.) The blackscale and the snaketongue battled it out while the party searched further for their goodies.

All tokens have graphics and "handouts" (from the Monster Manual), which you surely own already. Oh and I used many of your graphics, torstan. (Token suggestion: need a wizard's bookshelf with books, candles, jars, whatever on 'em.)
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thank you for this most awesome tutorial. A nice intro into GIMP as well. Now off to DL tiles.

Glad it was useful.

Thanks a lot GW for those checks and clarifications.

Might want to update the original post so newbies won't have to read through the entire thread.

Also, note that the snap measurement is based on screen pixels, not image pixels, so if you're zoomed in (or out) from 100% the behavior gets a little more funky.

I figured out on my own how to generate textured versions, namely use the magic wand or select by color, expand the selection to completely cover the walls, then fill with the texture. Simple.

Lastly, I ran "Cuboi's House of Slime" this weekend at Conquest SF (great con!). In fact, I ran it twice, once for 2 hrs, once for ~5hrs. Both sessions went well. Attached is a variant of the original map that gives more space (and makes the gelatinous cube reasonable.) If folks are interested in a more complete campaign file, I'm happy to send it on. I am thinking of running a sequel adventure next year. Thanks again, Torstan, for such great graphics. We use them regularly in our Maptool-heavy campaign (our DM's moved to the mid-west and all our players are in California.)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cuboi.png 
Views:	137 
Size:	897.7 KB 
ID:	16682  

Thanks so much! I used this on my first map and it helped so much!
    Sometimes when I feel really alone, I think about how aggravating it would be to have the company of an idiot. Then, everything is okay.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast