Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner ] Creating an old-school map in Gimp.

With a photocopier, it has to be blue, because of the blue glass plate within the machine itself (which is also what causes red to go "black"). But with a scanner things are a lot more flexible ... A lot of [the hand-drawn elements in] my maps were actually drawn in magenta, orange, blue, green or other colors using markers, for example, precisely for that reason ... it's a snap for Photoshop to suck away or isolate the color.

S. John Ross Ghalev
    Who Dat? Games Fonts Uresia

If you use Cyan for pencils and for PS it is extremely easy to knock out your sketch marks since you can just dump that channel and convert to RGB, or so the experts tell me.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

First, thank you very much for excellent instructions and motivation (oh and your art has been very helpful as well in my MapTool-centered campaign.) I even used your sample dungeon in a mini-adventure in 4E with some folks and we had a blast. (If you want the .campgn file, I can send it to you.)

I have been using GIMP 2.6.6 to try to recreate the steps you've outlined, and I must be dense--I select "snap to grid" (after setting the grid to 50px x 50px and showing the grid) and the paint brush fails to snap to the grid. I've checked the GIMP Bugzilla and there is no mention of this being a bug. Am I missing something obvious? I suppose I can just do caverns until I figger this out. ;^o

Quote Originally Posted by claud9999 View Post
    I have been using GIMP 2.6.6 to try to recreate the steps you've outlined, and I must be dense--I select "snap to grid" (after setting the grid to 50px x 50px and showing the grid) and the paint brush fails to snap to the grid. I've checked the GIMP Bugzilla and there is no mention of this being a bug. Am I missing something obvious? I suppose I can just do caverns until I figger this out. ;^o
    You have to restart gimp to get the grid preferences recognized.

I'd suggest using the grid of guides script instead, as you can set and clear them on the fly.

-Rob A>

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

You're welcome. I'm glad it came in handy - and I'd be very interested in the campaign file!

In Gimp 2.6.4 I can toggle snap to grid in the View menu and this changes the snap to grid behaviour of a paintbrush. I'll go and grab 2.6.6 and see if the behaviour is the same.

Torstan, tt is not the snap to grid toggle, it is the grid itself. When you change the grid spacing (at least in my version 2.6.4) you have to restart gimp, otherwise the snap to grid toggle continues to use the old spacing. I find it a pain to do this, as I often want to change the snap spacing while working (i.e. to get a 1/2 grid snap).

-Rob A>

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Just tested this in 2.6.4 running on windows XP media centre edition and it works fine. No problems at all with using configure grid to edit the spacing. Snaps to grid like a dream. How bizarre.

Post Cuboi's Slime Farm

Here's the sample mini-adventure, Cuboi's Slime Farm, wherein a Snaketongue Celebrant (in the Monster Manual under the Yuan-Ti section) has been growing a number of slimy creatures and teleporting humanoids to his little dungeon for experimentation. Puzzles, and a little fighting. Sure, not particularly realistic but heck.

The players start in the "cage" in the north-west without their goodies and with a snaketongue guard watching over them.

My first try of this was with two players at work (over lunch) wherein they made a deal with the snaketongue to give him gold in exchange for their freedom. Needless to say, the guard let them out and led them to the teleport room (where the four statues are) and then said, "I don't know how to operate this." (Only Cuboi knows how the teleporter works.) A little experimentation, and the blackscale was set free. The players backed out of the room and locked it from the outside (after all, Cuboi wouldn't have a teleportal room without some protection in case someone teleports without his authority.) The blackscale and the snaketongue battled it out while the party searched further for their goodies.

All tokens have graphics and "handouts" (from the Monster Manual), which you surely own already. Oh and I used many of your graphics, torstan. (Token suggestion: need a wizard's bookshelf with books, candles, jars, whatever on 'em.)
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    You have to restart gimp to get the grid preferences recognized.

I'd suggest using the grid of guides script instead, as you can set and clear them on the fly.

-Rob A>
    Something's broke in 2.6.6, at least the MacOSX build. I am able to run your script and it generates the guides but when I select "snap to guides" the paint brush doesn't snap. Luckily I have VMWare, too bad sourceforge.net seems to be borked right now. ;^o

Quote Originally Posted by claud9999 View Post
    Something's broke in 2.6.6, at least the MacOSX build. I am able to run your script and it generates the guides but when I select "snap to guides" the paint brush doesn't snap. Luckily I have VMWare, too bad sourceforge.net seems to be borked right now. ;^o
    Ah, I'm dumb. But perhaps my stupidity will save someone else the trouble...The trick I found is to turn up the "Snap Distance" in the "Tool Options" Preference panel. If you turn it up to 25, it snaps on all interactions, 15 is a reasonable medium, 8 is just too low for me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Snapshot 2009-07-10 06-13-01.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	99.6 KB 
ID:	14728  

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast