Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A big section of my atlas is finished

Blog Entries

Rob has sent some of the worst parts of the line ridged areas over. Although I have posted the full results back, here are some small swatches of the areas and how they were modified. I hope this helps. Some of the areas had some severe lines on them which practically obliterated the underlying features. Using a spatial filter will always destroy some of these features but with the hope that it will destroy the unwanted bits more and thus raise the overall signal to noise quality of an image. Some sorts of badness are really hard to separate from the good so thats when it fails to achieve a good result. Other times its brilliant. I think the best is for things like removing halftone from images where the unwanted bit is very regular and at a significantly different frequency from the good part of the image. These images had a mix where sometimes it worked better than others. You can judge for yourself tho.

I'm impressed!

I tried the second swatch using the GIMP using the FFT plugin.

I used a thresholded then blurred copy of the frequency domain image as a mask on a blurred copy of the frequency domain image.

I think I overdid it

Here is your swatch, with my effort at the bottom:

I've used this plugin to remove screening noise from images before. In case anyone wants to try, here is a link to wikibooks explaining how to remove coherent noise using GIMP and here is the link to the fft plugin I used.

-Rob A>
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gimp_fft.png 
Views:	42 
Size:	416.5 KB 
ID:	5254  

Blog Entries

That sounds like a similar process to what I did on mine. Its probable that Gimp has exactly the same process built into it. I would advise people to try it as sometimes, for the right instances, it can be miraculous. Your result is very good indeed. The only difference is probably some slight different tweaking in the filter image used. I thought somebody said that PS had it but at least I know Gimp has this for sure now.

That is amazing! This will be very helpful for the odd FT map which requires redoing. Any chance that it can be posted in the tutorial section for easy reference?

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Well... despite those minor glitches, these maps are indeed handsome. It's amazing how thoroughly you've mapped this world.

Qustion... why do you do it? I think it's great, but I wonder what it's purpose is.

Guild Journeyer

Yeah, I really like your work! what software are you using? Illustrator? Are all those rivers done by hand then or is there some fractual program you're using? It'll be good to get an idea of your work flow if you don't mind.

great stuff!

thanks for showing

Jez

Professional Artist

Quote Originally Posted by Karro View Post
    Well... despite those minor glitches, these maps are indeed handsome. It's amazing how thoroughly you've mapped this world.

Qustion... why do you do it? I think it's great, but I wonder what it's purpose is.
    Thanks Karro. It doesn't really have a purpose. I just do this for the fun of it. When all of the mapping is complete I would like to self-publish an atlas, but that is a long way off.

Quote Originally Posted by jezelf
    Yeah, I really like your work! what software are you using? Illustrator? Are all those rivers done by hand then or is there some fractual program you're using? It'll be good to get an idea of your work flow if you don't mind.
    I did a tutorial a while back... it's here.

-Rob

Guild Journeyer

Got it. I look forward to checking it out in more depth later.

cheers

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

gorgeous stuff here. that's it - i need to learn how to use illustrator!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12