Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: [Region 1][Map 15] - Jaiyat Highlands

I don't know, it looks to me like people surf through pretty regularly but then leave because all the base large-scale maps are done and they don't know what else to do...the main forum is pretty live though, so I'm a bit surprised.

It's a little hard to find a place to start. Maybe people don't feel as if they should take ownership of something that's a part of what somebody else has already done? I've done a small town map, at someone's request because they were running adventure there, and have a mostly done city map that I need to finish (lessee, I'm on year two!). Haven't gone beyond that. Maybe there's a way to revive the CWBP...the mods start up a program to get some detail areas done. Maybe it could be done as a series of (perhaps not consecutive) mapping challenges to grab a piece and work it up a bit. Starting with small towns might be good? I'd certainly *try* to pitch in. Just an idea.
    M

We've had pretty good success getting some maps coming in as a result of challenges in the past. It may be time to do that again.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Remade my map today because I'd lost all the previous versions (no river names yet as that'll require messing about in Illustrator). Also worked on a smaller scale map of one region where I'd already put two features; any good ideas for further expansions on that one?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	small-version.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	134.9 KB 
ID:	40642Click image for larger version. 

Name:	small-alder.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	116.2 KB 
ID:	40643

Blog Entries

I put the new items on my main map like this. If you have any high res images of the temple then do post and I can keep adding them all in.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tile15.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	369.8 KB 
ID:	40675  

Ouch. Oh man do I have some mismatch issues there. o_O Try this instead:

Name:	small-version.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	136.6 KB 
ID:	40681

Edited to add: I suck at structure maps, so a detailed map of the temple is not likely forthcoming from me. In fact, anyone else is welcome to deal with it; it's a temple to Yranna on the top of the hill in the grove of alder trees on the peninsula there. Think golden yellow and bright green.

For that matter, about 15 miles away is the town of Motherhallow on the same map, which I was thinking was probably of population between 10,000-20,000. It accommodates the east-west trade that comes down the valley of the Vai River (probably mule train, as it's a steep rivercourse) and across the Blackwater to the town of the same name in area 14, as well as the pilgrim traffic to the Alder Temple.
    Last edited by octopod; 12-16-2011 at 11:48 AM.

Blog Entries

Yeah that looks really cool.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JaiyatHighlands1.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	374.9 KB 
ID:	40693  

Quote Originally Posted by Midgardsormr View Post
    We've had pretty good success getting some maps coming in as a result of challenges in the past. It may be time to do that again.
    We've been tossing that idea around the CL forum...

-Rob A>

Just for fun, I reshaped it so that one N-S mile is equal(-ish) to one E-W mile, and look how different it is! Not useful to the overall map but instructive nonetheless.

Name:	small-scaled.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	144.8 KB 
ID:	41017

Blog Entries

A closer approx is a trapezoid but then actually its a curved segment thing. Neon Knight had the original tiles mapped out on one of the opening threads to the project. Since the map is a Mercator style then all of the tiles are square but in reality the space is curved on the globe. Its just that most people didn't want to map curved spaces and the software for handling them is a bit of a problem. I think the top of Ansium tiles are like 350miles across and the bottom is something like 800 so we went with 600 mile square as a rough guide.

You got any plans to map more of the towns in this tile region ?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast