Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Ongoing project to map...everything.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Megus.jpg 
Views:	490 
Size:	2.29 MB 
ID:	62241

One down, three to go.

Absolutely thrilling maps!

A lot of really great maps, that's for sure.

Appreciate the props guys, it really means a lot to me. Feel free to weigh in on how I'm doing, because I know I'm not very good at this yet and kind of just feeling around in the dark as I come up with new techniques. Most of those end up just being "Insert texture, erase edges".

Anyway, this one is about 90% done. Finished the water last night, so it should be good to go as-is, but I plan on adding some more details. I realized my mold and rot stains were not very good, so I'm trying to create a new method for all of that.

I'll probably be throwing in a few props like logs in the water, plants floating on top, and other assorted stains, but I'd really like some input on what can use improving. Aside from the rocky path, I know that's terrible, but I could not figure out a way to blend that well.

Name:	Walthus First.jpg 
Views:	334 
Size:	2.50 MB 
ID:	62265

Guild Novice Facebook Connected kaiofhearts's Avatar

Hey these are really cool! I love the combination of elements. I think you've found a great system for your textures because you've done a great job of blending them together. Props!

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected

I love them both, looking forward to seeing numbers three and four!
    I really like the way you use the texture, and I think you’re really good at grunging-up the textures and the furniture. I love the water in the last map. You really turn out your battlemaps very quickly as well, especially for so many games! I’ve been under the weather a bit, so I’ve made no progress on my maps for over a week.

I think the path just needs to be made to look more overgrown at the edges. At the moment the edges of almost all of outermost stones look too clearly defined, which would look great for a dungeon wall or a path in a well-tended garden, but looks wrong when the path should be over grown. I think it might look better if the edge of the grass texture partially covered the outermost areas of the path. Then if you added a subtle shadow along the edge of the grass (over the path texture), it would hint that the path is beneath the grass.

With your rot & mould, in the “one down, three to go” map the black grunge looks really good, the green stuff looks a little “misty”, like it’s floating rather than growing on the wood. Have you tried using grain-merge?

By the way, I just read your post in the obituary thread on the Paizo RotRL forum, glad your players finally plucked up the courage to take on Thistletop, hee-hee! (Which also reminds me that I need to get around to posting my own obituaries on there (all from Thistletop so far, what can I say – they tried a frontal assault on the fort, including charging on-mass across the bridge…)

Superb work Askren. Really love the colours on the last few maps and your water is wonderful (albeit a bit wavy inside the walled area).

So I'm working on a few new things, namely the second floor of my castle even though I haven't finished the first one yet. I probably shouldn't take on that many projects, but I want to try a few new techniques for doing things like windows, battlements, and other details.

I also started on the Dungeon which is in a very rough state, but you can see where I'm going with it. I'm actually kind of happy with the color going on through the tile floor, and I think the brick edgework came out nicely, I just need to tweak it a bit and then color match it. Also there's the tile/cave transitions I haven't really done, which I'm experimenting with techniques for. Also this map is gonna have a lot of natural cave features, and as my other cave map I'm working on made me realize, I'm downright awful at natural stone. So I'll be working on those too.

Dungeon WIP

Name:	Brinewall Dungeon.jpg 
Views:	601 
Size:	4.01 MB 
ID:	62455

And because I realized no one would ever take up my request to do this map, I just sat down with a beer and started it myself. Because I have no idea how to make realistic-looking region maps with nice textures and stuff, I just took the easy route and went parchment+brushes. It's quick, dirty, and ugly, but it's better than nothing.

Name:	Brinestump Marsh.jpg 
Views:	401 
Size:	2.16 MB 
ID:	62456

Vencarlo's Apartment, Curse of the Crimson Throne

Name:	Vencarlo.jpg 
Views:	640 
Size:	3.54 MB 
ID:	62698

Warden's Shack- Second Floor, Jade Regent

Name:	Walthus Second.jpg 
Views:	315 
Size:	2.47 MB 
ID:	62699

Brinestump Cave, Jade Regent

Name:	Brinestump Cave.jpg 
Views:	418 
Size:	3.97 MB 
ID:	62700

I think your water on the wardens shack is far more convincing than the water you used in the cave. Good layout for your cave system.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast