Thread: Ongoing project to map...everything.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Oh, I thought it would be fairly obvious, but that may just be because I'm an idiot.

I'm referring specifically to the center area of the map where I endeavored to overcome my rampant OCD need for textures to map logically by cutting and splicing brick textures so that they follow the walls in a "realistic" way, rather than just be one tiling texture overlay that has no regard for direction of the surface, etc.

It's an agonizingly boring process, and unfortunately the amount I got done there was the result of like, two days of on-and-off work which was mostly me trying to solve stupid problems like the fact that most of the wall textures sit like, 2 pixels lower than the grid line even though all my walls should be perfectly even...

But yeah, that's what I was trying to achieve. The black walls are the same as they were in every other iteration, just with their texture overlay turned off. Very much NOT the look I want.

Quote Originally Posted by Askren View Post
    Oh, I thought it would be fairly obvious, but that may just be because I'm an idiot.

I'm referring specifically to the center area of the map where I endeavored to overcome my rampant OCD need for textures to map logically by cutting and splicing brick textures so that they follow the walls in a "realistic" way, rather than just be one tiling texture overlay that has no regard for direction of the surface, etc.

It's an agonizingly boring process, and unfortunately the amount I got done there was the result of like, two days of on-and-off work which was mostly me trying to solve stupid problems like the fact that most of the wall textures sit like, 2 pixels lower than the grid line even though all my walls should be perfectly even...

But yeah, that's what I was trying to achieve. The black walls are the same as they were in every other iteration, just with their texture overlay turned off. Very much NOT the look I want.
    Oh that's just hilarious! I thought it was the black walls you were talking about!

Almost as funny, my reply almost works with the actual issue: I did briefly try to do walls like this; on only one map I think; here: http://www.cartographersguild.com/at...er-maps-z1.jpg however, as you noted, it just took too damned long. Since then I've reverted to a much more basic monochrome textureless wall. Swings and roundabouts!

Riako, yes you are right about the cobblestone streets and vector mapping.

I've also experimented with circular shapes - you can see here http://www.cartographersguild.com/bu...tml#post198139 (posts 25 & 26). I also did some work with Meshon (I think) in the communal theatre thread (in buildings forum I think) on the curving of wooden plank textures.