Thread: Photoshop Actions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I looked for GIMP, and the only plugins currently available require guides to be placed, then cut along the guides....or go nuts (like perl-o-tine) and generate all the html to place the cut bits in a file

Would a version of this for GIMP be handy - a simple script to export a regular array of sub-images to a specified directory?

-Rob A>

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    Would a version of this for GIMP be handy - a simple script to export a regular array of sub-images to a specified directory?
    Probably for some people but the normal requirement is to be able to do it for a very large image so that you can print them on multiple sheets of paper. I.e. the process needs to keep an eye on its RAM usage.

Here is the help file for image magick with its cropping which can cut a set of tiles out of an image into multiple files.

http://www.imagemagick.org/Usage/crop/

Whenever I use IM I really like it, its capable and works but its often slow and not very RAM efficient so I don't know if this can handle big images.

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    Probably for some people but the normal requirement is to be able to do it for a very large image so that you can print them on multiple sheets of paper.
    Funny - I just pull a big image into MSpaint and print it....it automagically tiles across multiple pages...

And, yes, IM is great for that sort of batch scripting.

-Rob A>

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    Funny - I just pull a big image into MSpaint and print it....it automagically tiles across multiple pages...
    I didn't know that. The clever thing about many of the special programs to do it tho is that you can set some overlap so that when you have all the sheets of paper you can cut them roughly in the overlap region, match them up and sticky tape them together. To do that with Paint means some super accurate cutting against a white edge. Of course no overlap is exactly what you do want for tiles in a google maps type thing except I don't reckon you can get Paint to give you that as an output without printing them.