Thread: Site is Excellent

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by yu gnomi View Post
    Could anyone help me find top down views of wall sections from dungeons, taverns, & other fantasy settings -or give me ponters on making my own?
    Walls are one of the hardest things to manage in a top down map, as most of us map top down assuming an orthographic (parallel) projection. In other words, you realistically shouldn't see the sides of the walls!

The most common way photo-realistic application are used is to apply a bevel to the edges of the walls.

-Rob A>

I am fairly certain that Xara does bevels, although this would make it one of a thousand features of Xara that I haven't used yet. I admit that I was hoping that there was an easy sleazy way of doing it (like downloading pre-made wall sections).

Post Tutorial is ready...

Believe me, its "easy sleazy": create a rectangle, apply a stone texture fill, apply a straight bevel, apply a "glow" shadow... you've got a wall that gives the illusion of height. All that takes about 30 seconds to create.

Or follow the steps in the tutorial I just posted in the tutorial forums and you'll have your entire dungeon in short order.

dungeon Xara tutorial pdf

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

After experimenting a little with bevel tool, I think you are right. It is both easier to use and more configurable than I originally gave it credit.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Ah, missed the intro thread. I'm glad you made it over here from ENWorld. Xara looks good - I'll have to delve into it one of these days. I'd also continue to recommend Gimp, but I know you already have it on your to do list!

Blog Entries

The way most people seem to represent vertical walls in a top down view is to apply some fading black shadow to the sides of the wall. This is so-so realistic as some walls might actually increase the lighting but it does a good job to fool the brain into thinking that theres some depth going on. Similarly with objects that sit above the floor but differ only a little in texture. Most of the pngs that you pick up might have a shadow effect already included.

My personal opinion is that its easier to draw the floor and walls with some paint package or texture application and use the pngs for almost everything else. You need so many bits of wall to make one look good its hardly worth it. Maybe thats why there are so few objects around to pick up. Also I think Dunjinni has some drawing tools and fill to represent walls so people use that instead of making png tokens for them.