Quote Originally Posted by Madmaxneo View Post
I am more interested in the free programs but none seem to fit my needs or they have such a steep learning curve that there is no way I can figure this out in time.

None of them have the textures I need, except for Maptools but it doesn't do vectoring. I have all the textures I need but they are in .png format and

Gimp, though it is a great program, it is not good for vectoring as it is meant for bitmap editing.
Sounds like Gameprinter has already provided you with excellent advise, but since you specified free programmes I will mentions a few things.

1) Are you sure you need a vector programme? If you are just making combat maps for roll20/VTT use then you really don not need a vector-based programme at all. I use vector-based programme for work where millimetre accuracy is key, but raster-based programmes for VTT maps where lighting and atmosphere is more important to me.

2) GIMP & textures: you really don't need to import your textures into GIMP as textures. Just keep them as .PNGs. Presumably you are talking about a Seamless Texture? I never use these but this is how to in GIMP:
-a) drop the .png seamless texture into an open gimp document by drag and drop (or 'import' if you prefer)
-b) scale the texture bigger or smaller based on your needs. It should look like a small square in the middle of the larger image.
-c) take note of the dimensions of your image (not the texture layer!) in pixels. If you can't remember, go to IMAGE>IMAGE PROPERTIES and take note.
-d) while on the texture layer, go to FILTERS>MAP>TILE and bring up the tile dialogue box. Enter your image dimensions and unclick 'new image', then press enter.
RESULT: your seamless texture now fills the entire image. You can delete the bits you don't want but you should really look up jpfrazier's layer mask tutorial and use that instead.

Although this might seem complicate in time you will see it is very simple and much more powerful than maptools.