Thread: Best program to redraw an existing map?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

With the pen tool (drawing tool) and your shape selected, look to the toolbar at the top of the page, on the far right is a dropdown box with an arrow pointing right next to it - this is the Edge Feathering tool. The dropdown accesses a sliding bar which allows you to define the size of the feather. The arrow next to it, opens a coordinate graph that allows you to adjust the contrast and gradation between the unfeathered and feathered portion of the edge.

I use edge feathering on everything, especially bevels.

Have you found the bevel tool yet? I use the bevel tool extensively in my maps, and you'll find a huge variety of options with bevels in Xara. The bevel tool and other special tools are found on the left side tool bar just above the magnifying glass.

There is even a 3D extrusion tool on the same flyout as the bevel tool. This allows you to create any given shape and create a 3D extrusion of the shape that can be rotated in 3D coordinates. I don't use it a lot, but it does come in handy for unique situations and object creation. If you look at the first map I linked to in this thread, there are a pair of doors, one is open, that sit on the approach road to the castle, just as the road turns back towards the castle entrance. On the hill wall lies these doors. These are 3D extrusions.
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 02-13-2014 at 06:40 PM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations