Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: AUGUST CHALLENGE: Neon's Dungeon Tiles

Guild Journeyer

My group has started using minis instead of scribbling X's and O's on a white board. I took a map I got with my 3.5e DMG I think that was a poster map with a tile-grid on the back and a darker pre-mapped set of rooms on the front.

One of the players took it to Kinko's and had them laminate it. They trimmed to about 1/4 inch from the edge of the poster and it's holding up just fine. I can still scribble on terrain, features track iniative and NPC hit points off to the side. It's worked like a charm for us.

We have discussed a sheet of acrylic plastic with some 1pt size vinyl tape marking off a grid also. This would have a hinged metal backing and allow us to slide in custom battle maps and use magnetic tokens for things.

Blog Entries

Because I was a cheapskate back in the days of dry erase, I had some white melomane chip board, drew some squares on it and then covered with clear sticky backed plastic. This was in use several years. It needs a bit of spirits after a while to clear it and then it would be good for a while again.

So you could get some board, lay out the printed tiles and cover with that sticky plastic. What would be cool would be lots of blocks of wood with a tile each covered and then place on a tray to stop them moving then you could reuse and reshape the dungeon.

Here are a couple more tiles. The tile with the PURPLE line denotes that it can be cut to form small tiles.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Generic Tiles 9.PNG 
Views:	382 
Size:	491.7 KB 
ID:	6157   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Generic Tiles 10.PNG 
Views:	159 
Size:	786.5 KB 
ID:	6158   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Generic Tiles 11.PNG 
Views:	510 
Size:	542.5 KB 
ID:	6159  
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

A small collection of edgers to block of some of those 'dead-ends'
    Attached Images Attached Images      

MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

And finally, the example dungeon.

A small band of cultists have set up in a remote cave outside of town. The cultists have discovered an ancient shrine within the cave and have set about once again in the foul rituals.

Beyond the cave entrance, the initial chamber is where the cultists keep most of their illgotten supplies, while the back of the cave is home to hallucgine inducing fungus they cultivate for their rituals.

The next chamber has suffered from a recent flood and the stagnant brackish water hides a guardian the cultists have set here as an early defense.

The next chamber has a deep chasm from which lava pools provide heat to the small cave. A thin ledge surrounds the pit an can be carefully navigated.

Beyond the lava cave, a deep ravine splits the outer cave from the inner sanctum. The cultists have recently replaced the old rotted bridge they found with a more sturdy, newer one. An idol to their fell god watches over the bridge, and if the proper prayers are not given, then a blast of cold shoots from the rune on the floor before it, possibly blasting unwary intruders into the chasm.

Beyond the chasm, the temple proper begins with an initial shrine to the fell god. Coins, a few gems and other offerings are scatter on the dais of the idol. Offerings left here disappear within a few days. If any of the offerings are taken, the Statue animates and attacks. It will not leave this chamber.

The next chamber is a watch post and store room. Lesser cultists are always on watch here.

To the west is the temple proper. It is also the lair of a minor demon that has been summoned here as an envoy of the fell god.

To the east, is the chambers and laboratory of the high priest. A powerful adversary, the priest is school in the arts of necromancy.

To the north is a crypt where the bodies of previous highpriests resides. One of them is however, a vampire that is the true leader of the complex.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	August ChallengeExample.PNG 
Views:	110 
Size:	728.9 KB 
ID:	6165  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Very, very nice, Neon! This month's voting is going to be tough, there are some really good entries.
    I agree, I've only been around for the last couple of contests. But this one is gonna take some serious debate (in my head) to determine a winner.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123