Thread: Subterrainian Map Prettier Script

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    Working with a bunch of maps in the same style seemed an invitation to scripting...
    Thats what I thought Are you doing it in a similar way - are you blurring and substituting textures for gray levels ?

Nope. Just using the B&W to act as a mask defining the "inside" and then building a map (with an optional distortion step).

Layers generated are (top down):
    -Wall Style (bevel or stroke)
    -Wall Fill
    -Wall Shadows
    -Grid Bump Overlay
    -Grid Stroke
    -Floor Plasma Noise Overlay
    -Floor Texture

So they can all be tweaked. The floor and wall-fill textures are either procedural (the previous example), or you can specify a Gimp pattern.

In place of the bevel, the wall style can be a solid wall with a pattern (or solid colour) and optional bevel. It does end up giving you a lot of options though....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	test2.png 
Views:	374 
Size:	1,017.7 KB 
ID:	6025

-Rob A>

Blog Entries

Its very cool and will be very useful. I am planning on using scripts more to generate standard type maps like dungeons. I reckon where you can script its a good idea to try it. Gimp scripting is a very powerful way of making maps.

That script is a fantastic idea Rob. Any plans on making it available to the circling birds of prey?

Torq
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Torq View Post
    That script is a fantastic idea Rob. Any plans on making it available to the circling birds of prey?

Torq
    If I'm not mistaken, I think once this months contest is done he will make the script available to the masses.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Another teaser is a second script I wrote to batch process. Just point the thing to a folder of templates and it will turn them all into maps having the same settings.

(I also got rid of the shadow in the doors).

-Rob A>

Quote Originally Posted by Torq View Post

Torq
    I'll completly agree, thats a nice script for sure. Would save me a ton of work

Aaahhh, RobA. You and your teasers...

OK -

Here is the GIMP script. This includes both the dungeon map maker (under filters) and the batch processor for applying the same filter on a bunch of files in a directory (under Xtns in the main Gimp window)

Enjoy!

EDIT: There is an update to the script in this post that fixes one little bug, and allows for downloading a random cave map of the internet as a base map!

-Rob A>
    Attached Files Attached Files

Info Now with hexes!

It has been a while since I posted an update, but thanks to a request by Em on my blog, the script now has an option to create hex grids (horizontal or vertical).... if you also have my hex grid script loaded.

If you don't have the script, and select either hex from the menu, it will pop a little error dialog pointing you to the download location at the gimp plugin registry for the hex grid script, then quit.

I don't often use hex grids, but here is hoping it might be of use!

Oh yeah, the grid size measurement will be flat to flat, and it sets the offset so there is a full hex in the upper left hand corner.

-Rob A>
    Attached Files Attached Files