Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 3d Watch Mechanism D&D Plot Device.

Blog Entries

Just render more frames than you need by a factor of four and average 4 frames together... unless that IS the slow motion blur !

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

well, I dunno how it does it...its basically a mental ray rendering effect. What you're talking about is a post-processing effect. This actually lets me punch in shutter speed and f-stop and all that and it renders it accordingly.

Here's the animation...its a 15 meg .avi file. I'm probably not going to leave it up long, so see it now before I take it down.

http://www.cartographersguild.com/hosted/arankey.avi
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Arcana View Post
    well, I dunno how it does it...its basically a mental ray rendering effect. What you're talking about is a post-processing effect. This actually lets me punch in shutter speed and f-stop and all that and it renders it accordingly.
    What your talking about (well with f-stops anyway) is depth of field rendering which does ray bundling via multiple passes through an aperture. Motion blur is basically an antialiasing thing where you oversample in the time domain and resample back to the correct frame rate again. Its exactly like rendering bigger frames and resampling down to the correct size for the spatial domain. When you resample it will do a blur as part of the process. The net result is that each of the frames of the moving wheel will be the average of 4 frames so that the moving bits are blurred but all the stationary bits are the same and thus not blurred. The more frames you use the better but if running a full speed anim of 30 fps say then the wheel should only move a little so 4 oversampled frames per real frame ought to be just enough to make it look like one seamless blur. Its always better to run anything at more res than you need, blend and resample back to the final. That goes for spatial X-Y res or time in frames res too.

I'll look at your anim now but I expect it will be superb

Blog Entries

yeah f-stop is unrelated to the motion blur...but what I mentioned it for is that my rendering setup gives me full camera options...all the way down to photometric lighting even. I understand the concept though...and there was a quick rasterizer of the effect that makes it run faster that was crashing my program....the workaround eliminates the crashing part though, and still applies it.

Blog Entries

Ok, and your anim is very cool indeed

Blog Entries

Thanks! I may scale it down to 50% keyframs...that way I get twice the movement in the same number of frames. It'll move faster though.
    I also need to put in a hairspring for the balance wheel too...I deleted the old one, because it was "wrong"
    Last edited by Robbie; 09-17-2008 at 09:39 PM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

This is really cool Arcana, nice work. I don't have the patience for the 3D modeling stuff.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Post I'm not as technical as that!

Very cool 3D, Arcana, not so much like my style of 3D - I'm very much more organic and loose about my 3D design. I could never design something like a machine or clock - too precise for my skills, but then you're an engineer, I'm an artist.

I love the 3D detailing - but as I said, it isn't something I could do, or even think of doing. Great job! Repped!

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

That is very smooth. I'm really curious now to see how the gem factors in and what the completed model will look like.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast