Guild Member

Wip St. Pierre's Monestary

Thoughts?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Monestary.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	1.49 MB 
ID:	71128
    Last edited by meek75; 02-24-2015 at 08:44 AM.

Banned User

Nice. Are you going to add more furnishings?

Guild Member

Quote Originally Posted by chick View Post
    Nice. Are you going to add more furnishings?
    Perhaps. Furniture creation is not a strong suit for me, but I could probably grab some from an online community to populate the place. I could also just label each room to denote it's intended purpose. I might also create a version with a grid for those that want to use it on a VTT.

Guild Applicant

Great start

It might be worth having that courtyard wall bend near the end and meet the south wall on that south-western range. The really acute corner looks a bit weird.
    My new Deviant-thing. I finally caved.

There is no practical reason for any wall in the left (rotated) building to align with the right building.
    those two walls in the center of the left building (horizontal and vertical) appear out of place and will make framing the roof a carpenter's nightmare.
    It seems more likely that all the walls in the left building should be rotated and parallel or perpendicular to one another.

I agree that the tight corner will pose maintenance issues (hard to get in and weed) easily solved by bending or moving the courtyard wall.
    Moving the wall to the corner of the left building will give you a larger courtyard for less wall (cheaper to construct).

While my color vision (or lack thereof) prevents my commenting on your color choices, I like the graphic clarity and hierarchy of your style.
    It is very clear what is a wall and what is not ... something often lost in 'rendered material' styles.

Bogie has some great furniture for you to use starting here: Mapping Elements, Starting with Preset Tables and Chairs

Guild Member

Thanks for the feedback. I'll go back and do some re-working based on all the suggestions!

I really like your map meek75. Great style and colour choices. I have the following comments:

Be careful adding furniture - I think it will make your map look bad if you do this willy-nilly using a riot of differently-coloured and differently-styled objects. Less is more. Your trees have a very particular style and photo-realistic furniture will look out of place.

Floor texture: I'm not a fan of your hay-ish floor texture: it is too sharp in comparison to your trees and exterior textures, which are abstracted and wonderful. I like the colour though.

Red carpet: black dots look a bit odd. I would change the black colour to a dark red.

Texture seam (at front door of monastry, above the P in Pierre): blur the two textures into each other, or else add a step.

Internal steps (in top right): darken these shadows, the gray is a bit washed out.

Great map!