Page 6 of 30 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: More cities (City Designer 3)

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Good work. That's a very pretty map.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Great job Gandwarf!

My only suggestion would be maybe to put some kind of border around it and move the city name. Why cover up all that time and effort?
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    Great job Gandwarf!

My only suggestion would be maybe to put some kind of border around it and move the city name. Why cover up all that time and effort?
    A good suggestion. I was planning to experiment with borders in the near future. Haven't ever done them, so I am a bit nervous
    I want to use a uniform border for all my maps.

Right now I am messing with a small map of a camp in a forest. I slapped this together in 15 minutes. Somehow it doesn't look right. Have to look into it tomorrow.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nieuwgroenwoud1.jpg 
Views:	404 
Size:	188.2 KB 
ID:	6889  
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Sirillion blows me away, totally epic in scope not to mention epic patience and determination. Keep up the amazing work my man.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

GREAT JOB on Sirillion. just fantastic demonstration of determination and dedication and patience. Just awesome CC3 city map....

Quote Originally Posted by delgondahntelius View Post
    GREAT JOB on Sirillion. just fantastic demonstration of determination and dedication and patience. Just awesome CC3 city map....
    Agreed! Post it up in the Finished Maps section.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Funny thing about the Sirillion map is how it almost has a false perspective. I think it is because all the streets in the lower half of the map converge.

Beautiful, though!

-Rob A>

Guild Journeyer

You should publish these - possibly without labels for game masters.

Thanks for the comments people, it means a lot
    I am not sure if I should put my maps in the Finished section, at least not as separate maps. It would pollute the place.

Anyhow, I abandoned my last map (the one in the forest clearing) and I spent some time trying to do a hill again. So for my eleventh or something map I created Zoutland.

Zoutland (Saltland) is a small town located almost in the center of the Valley. Roads lead to all directions. Most of the (larger) houses are located on a hill as is a small tower used as a lookout. About 1.500 - 2.000 people live here. Some farming is going on, but not really intensive. The ground is not that fertile.

So with it's central position Zoutland could easily have been a hub for traffic. Why isn't this town bigger, you ask? Well, the town's location is a bit too central. The wizards from Iffraon, Ziadon and Sirilion fought lots of wars with each other and a lot of times Zoutland was involved. The town changed hands many times, was burnt down, declared no man's land, destroyed again, etc. Thousands of soldiers died attacking or defending the hill over the years and fortifications were constantly being taken down. No one ruler could hold the town for long.

Now that the wizards have been defeated the Alliance maintains a small garrison in the tower and the town finally knows peace. Most of the houses you see on the map have sprung up recently as it used to be a ghosttown after all the fighting. Zoutland might be be a very powerful city in the future, especially when the south starts to quiet down and trade picks up.

Name:	zoutland1.jpg 
Views:	265 
Size:	535.3 KB 
ID:	6909  
    Last edited by Gandwarf; 10-07-2008 at 07:32 PM.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

I am still experimenting with hills, so for my twelfth map I did another town with hills. I think they are looking better, but there is still room for improvement.

This is Zilvertop (Silvertop), a small town located near Ziadon. The settlement is located near a lake and small hill. The town is aptly named as the mountains to the north and east contain a lot of silver.

Because of extensive mining Zilvertop gets a lot of traffic and it should be seen as a support town. There's some warehouses, inns, a foundry, blacksmiths, wagon menders, shops, etc. There's not much farming going on because of the rocky ground and higher altitudes, so food has to be imported from Ziadon.

Name:	zilvertop1.jpg 
Views:	236 
Size:	176.4 KB 
ID:	6936  

Page 6 of 30 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast