Thread: Aphura, The Archipelago, and the Orange Kingdoms

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post Aphura - Based on Ice-Age Sea Levels between Asia and Australia

I did some research on Ice-Age sea levels around South-East Asia and northern Australia, including submerged river systems. I then combined present-day elevation models with bathymetric maps (plus a lot of guessing) to create rivers and terrain variation on the "land-bridges".

The scale is approximate; the graticule is fake, but the lines are roughly in the right spots.

The style is very modern; this is primarily for clarity.

It lacks a Compass rose and a Legend.

Time taken: 3 hours research, 10 hours in Photoshop (1.5 hours just for names).

Fantasy scenario:
    Set in a strange future or alternate past.
    I'm not sure how this region can be post-Ice Age, still above water, of tropical climate, and remain like so for thousands of years. But it has.
    The Orange Kingdoms are ruled by three orange species: Orangutan, Red Panda, and Tiger. There are other intelligent species, such as Belly Frogs and Dragons.
    Aphura is a new place, and humans journeyed across continents to reach it. Most continued moving through the landscape as hunters, but one group settled and formed Stargrave, First City. This is the setting for my latest novel idea.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aphura1.jpg 
Views:	312 
Size:	490.1 KB 
ID:	6626  
    Last edited by aeronox; 09-24-2008 at 01:58 PM.