Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cormyr Map

My PCs are currently in Hills Edge, which is about a half-inch off the map to the west. Guess I'll have to push them east soon! Exceptional map.

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Schley's Avatar

Wow! I really didn't expect to get so many responses.

You can't imagine how much good it does to know that you guys like the map so much. As a full time freelancer working from home I don't get a lot of feedback other than comments from art directors and a few comments on the WOTC boards.

As for the massive # of tags somewhat obscuring the art, I tried to minimize this by using a text/art color pallet that allowed for a rich level of detail while keeping the tags and illustrated elements separate and easily readable.

A little bit of my process:
    Using a 6x8 Wacom tablet and Photoshop CS3 I lay down my inks first and send them off for approval. Once I've received any changes/notes I go in and build up the colors and textures in the final version and hope there are no additional changes before handing them off.

I typically start by pasting any reference sketch I have into a layer set to multiply with a transparency of 20-40%. If I'm working on a tactical map this allows me to stroke an accurate grid on another layer using the reference as a guide for path setup. Once I've layed out and stroked my paths and have a grid layer appropriate to the map, I set it to multiply with a transparency of 30-40% and then create a white layer mask for it. The white layer mask allows me to hide or obscure portions of the grid without damaging the actual grid. I can hide/reveal the grid by just painting on the mask.

To keep my inks organized I put wall edges, surface details, etc. on separate layers within a general Inks folder. The reason for keeping certain inks on there own layer is that if there are no breaks in your ink line you can quickly use the magic wand to select areas by simply clicking with it in the area of the ink layer that you want to select. One warning though; when using ink edges to define selections you must expand or contract the selection so that it overlaps the edge of the ink line by a pixel or two. Otherwise when using that selected area to fill with a color, for example, you may end up with odd halo effects.

I keep my color layers organized in their own folder below my ink layers and place all the tags in their own folder on top of everything else.

ok. I'll quit rambling and come back later with some more tips and tricks.

Thanks again for all the great comments so far.

Mike

I really like this style of map; your forests are amazing.

I'll just join the 'wow, awesome' crowd, this is a great map.

Since you described your process a bit (for which many thanks, always nice to see how others work!) I was wondering, how long does it typically take you to do a map like this?

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Schley's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sirith View Post
    Since you described your process a bit (for which many thanks, always nice to see how others work!) I was wondering, how long does it typically take you to do a map like this?
    Depends on the final size, but generally between 3-4 days for a regional map like this. The volume of tagged elements effects the time as well. If I did this one at poster size it would probably take about a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Schley View Post
    Wow! I really didn't expect to get so many responses.

You can't imagine how much good it does to know that you guys like the map so much. As a full time freelancer working from home I don't get a lot of feedback other than comments from art directors and a few comments on the WOTC boards.
    Well, allow this non-cartographer gamer to say he really likes your work. Very clean, very elegant -- I think good consistent map design goes a long way towards establishing the feel of any D&D (or minis-oriented game) edition, and the stuff you've been doing is both good and consistent.

First thing I did when starting my 4e game was scan the Nentir Vale map and throw it up on my HDTV for background. It was a hit with my players. Thank you!

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Amazing! It is simply breathtaking! Best map of Cormyr I've ever seen!

Guild Novice

Praise

Absolutely excellent map, I love the style and colours.
    As a 4E gamer, the labeling is also fantastically done. Very clear without spoiling the look of the map. My players love it too.

Cant wait for you to be commissioned to do the Dalelands and Moonsea areas
    Found in a computer dictionary..Recursive - see recursive...
    Software used - Campaign Cartographer 3, DD3 and CC3.

Sorry for the threadomancy, but a post at WotC is what brought me to this site, because I'm a fan of that Map (and it's cartographer, of course).

Incredible job.

I created Collinwood, Gwarch, and the Redwoods, and I was thrilled when they made it into an official product.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkusTay View Post
    Sorry for the threadomancy, but a post at WotC is what brought me to this site, because I'm a fan of that Map (and it's cartographer, of course).

Incredible job.

I created Collinwood, Gwarch, and the Redwoods, and I was thrilled when they made it into an official product.
    Mind providing the WOTC link where we were mentioned?

Thanks,

-Rob A>

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast