Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Umbraland: Logo Design

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Quote Originally Posted by TheImperial View Post
    The typeface is a result of frankensteining two together: Augustus (available on dafont.com) and Harrington (Microsoft).
    I don't suppose you'd mind sharing precisely how you managed to "frankenstein" two fonts together, or anything else about the process you used?
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Quote Originally Posted by Karro View Post
    I don't suppose you'd mind sharing precisely how you managed to "frankenstein" two fonts together, or anything else about the process you used?
    I'd be happy to (as it's really very easy, technically)!

As with any part of design work, the most challenging element is the creative aspect of the work: coming up with a design that's visually pleasing, colors, visual elements, etc.

But once you've got an idea you want to run with, here's how I used two fonts come up with the Umbraland logo in Adobe Photoshop CS:

I use a higher resolution and size to begin with and then, I can shink it down as need be. For example, the Umbraland logo is actually 15" or so wide at 300dpi.

I used one font (Augustus) to form the base of the logotype. From there, I began typing out random letters in the second font (Harrington). Conciviably, you could use as many fonts as you would like, but I advise sticking with a small number, or using very similar styles.

I look for interesting shapes that I may be able to use in place of or to augment the base font (such as the flourishes on the end letters of U & D, the middle connector of the M, the B and L flourishes, etc).

To "test drive" the looks of things, I throw on a layer mask to the second, stylistic font and then place it where I want.

If it looks good, I'll rasterize the letter and apply the layer mask.

For the sake of your sanity, I highly recommend grouping your work into different folders based on letters or sylables, as a particularly complex letter may have 4-5 different layers, depending on how you design it.

Once you have the rough design done, then go back and begin to smooth everything out. I'll make a copy of the pieces of letters (another reason to group everything together) and then merge it all into one layer.

From there, I'll adjust the tracking between the letters, adjust the bottoms and tops to make it all look uniform, and other touch ups.

So really, it's ultimately a matter or just experimenting to find what looks good.

I hope this is somewhat helpful - I've never written any sort of guide before...
    Current Project: The Low Countries & Their Periphery, c. 1584

Do you like Renaissance and early modern history? Check out my Facebook page, Renaissance Netherlands with Will Phillips.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

That is pretty much how I go about logo and lettering design, although ... I like use paper to sketch out the rough of what I'm going for and scan it in... then I use Illustrator to lay down the vectoring for all the letters.... then whisk it away to photoshop for many more hours of fun!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Many hours of fun?! Oh yeah, that's right this is supposed to be fun. Nice explanation of the process TI. Looks like I'll have to break down and learn how to use those masks finally.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Thanks for explaining your technique! I'll try this in GIMP...

Thanks for the explanation, although I can't help thinking that the letter shapes would be easier done in a vector programme which could then be exported to a raster for the special effects.

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Quote Originally Posted by Absinth View Post
    Thanks for explaining your technique! I'll try this in GIMP...
    Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Thanks for the explanation, although I can't help thinking that the letter shapes would be easier done in a vector programme which could then be exported to a raster for the special effects.
    Hmm... for those of us running on Free... would running through Inkscape first, then exporting to GIMP be an effective means of doing this?
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

I like the newer version a whole bunch. By mossing up the letters, you really conveyed the idea of "land."
    Something witty and pithy

Quote Originally Posted by Karro View Post
    Hmm... for those of us running on Free... would running through Inkscape first, then exporting to GIMP be an effective means of doing this?
    Definitely!

Here is a quick (and simple) example of blending two fonts in Inkscape, then modifying them to something unique...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	text.png 
Views:	76 
Size:	19.4 KB 
ID:	7389

-Rob A>

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    It very well might be, but I have no experience in Illustrator or other vector programs, so that's why I stick with Photoshop.
    Current Project: The Low Countries & Their Periphery, c. 1584

Do you like Renaissance and early modern history? Check out my Facebook page, Renaissance Netherlands with Will Phillips.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast