Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
That was my first thought as well. I know when I did my Sept Challenge at only 3000x3000 (150 ppi I think) towards the end, I was having 2 GB spikes and had to close out GIMP every hour or so or it would just stop responding. Even then, doing most filter actions took 30-60 seconds to completed, and this is a a Core 2Duo with 4 GB Ram(I really need to look into getting 2 8GB sticks). I can just imagine my compute going up in smoke trying to an image large enough to make for a nice printed battle map.

Not saying it's a bad idea.. but I expect the number of entries to be smallish due to the machine requirements.
Strange, but I have pretty much the same hardware... 2 GB RAM, 600 GB harddrive... almost all of my maps are in the 18 x 24 if not 24 x 36 dimension. In Xara all the work quantified at 96 ppi at creation, it only becomes 300 dpi when I export the final.

I guess since Xara is a vector app, far less memory is chewed up in the making of the map. Final map then is exported to finally create a huge file.

Making a 36 x 48 map at 300 dpi is easy for me.

I knew that PS was a memory hog, I didn't realize GIMP was as well.

GP