Quote Originally Posted by torstan View Post
I like the start you've made. I've a few comments. Firstly I'm not sure the continental outline needs to be as strong as you've made it. You already have a clear edge from the land/sea boundary so I'm not sure you need to have a thick line as well. It looks a little like the entire continent has a very uniform beach around it.
I agree. One thing I have been meaning to try on a largish sized map like this is stroking the outline and using the new Brush Dynamics in GIMP 2.6 to vary the size and stuff of the brush, and perhaps even using a Gradient brush. Will have to give that a try tonight to see what I can come up with...

Quote Originally Posted by torstan View Post
Also, I'm not too sure about the texture you've used for the mountains. There are some pretty extended discussions knocking around on the boards about how best to do mountains on a map like this, but my advice would be to go to google earth and find a mountain range at roughly the same scale as this map. Then try to get an effect in Gimp that gets you a good result.
Well... my approach is best... I just have not figured out how to make it easily repeatable enough to write it down. Plus, while it looks very good... it takes quite a while....