Thread: [unpaid]Wanna draw me a pretty simple map?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Sounds interesting. Do you have a sketch - doesn't matter how rough - to give people an idea of the layout? Also, it's worth saying how much detail you need - b&w, greyscale or colour, number of labels - that sort of thing. It would help people get an idea of the amount of time it would take to do what you're after.

Quote Originally Posted by torstan View Post
    Sounds interesting. Do you have a sketch - doesn't matter how rough - to give people an idea of the layout? Also, it's worth saying how much detail you need - b&w, greyscale or colour, number of labels - that sort of thing. It would help people get an idea of the amount of time it would take to do what you're after.
    Thanks for the response. Sorry if I was too vague.

I don't have a sketch at this point. I've got some vague ideas in my head about a couple of political factions that I plan to have vying for control. But honestly, to this point, I've been hunting (unsuccessfully) for a random map generator that I could work from. So I'm not at all picky.

I guess what I had in mind was something I could start from and add some place names and other such data to as I developed things (other stuff I might add would maybe be altitude of a given plateau and whether it was civilized or "wild"). A black and white sketch with a couple dozen peaks poking out through the mists would be enough to get me started.

Does that make sense?

As I'm typing it, it almost sounds so simple that I'm wondering why I'm bothering you guys with it.

Sounds very Edgar Rice Burroughs.

There is an excellent pdf by Adamant Games... Franklin's Almanac Issue 1. It has a couple of flying prestige classes for a world of steampunk and gunpowder set in Atlas's Northern Crown setting.

Northern Crown died badly but this pdf is a lot of fun.

Do you have an idea of how high this elevation would be to stay above 'the mists'? How about surviving cities hidden inside of domes or dug deep into the rocks?

Sigurd - Like the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd View Post
    Sounds very Edgar Rice Burroughs.

There is an excellent pdf by Adamant Games... Franklin's Almanac Issue 1. It has a couple of flying prestige classes for a world of steampunk and gunpowder set in Atlas's Northern Crown setting.

Northern Crown died badly but this pdf is a lot of fun.
    Hmm...I might have to check that out. Although probably more for "fluff" than "crunch" since this is going to be a 4e game (and skirting away from the steampunk since my last campaign was more along those lines).

Do you have an idea of how high this elevation would be to stay above 'the mists'? How about surviving cities hidden inside of domes or dug deep into the rocks?

Sigurd - Like the idea.
    As far as elevation, the real life examples are in Venezuela and they get up to around 3000 feet. I figure my fantasy versions can stand to range at least up to a mile, maybe a little more.

As far as surviving cities at lower altitudes, I am leaning more toward dug into caves than under domes. But I defiinitely like the idea. Maybe a place where some sort of other gases bubble out of a big lake and bond with the poisons in the Mist rendering it inert.

Big thanks to everybody here for being receptive to this request by a total newbie! You are all very generous.

Just as a point of reference, the real life land feature that this is sort of based on is called a "tepui". Here is a map I copied from a tourist website:

Post Below the mist?

So I have to ask. Is this a plateau above a wasteland or peaks above a poison sea? or .... How do you envisage these safe areas existing with the rest of the geography?

Is the poison fog Windblown? If so are spaces in the lea of mountains safer?

Is it generated by lowlands ? In which case are the leading edges of islands safer?

If this is all mountainous - how do they deal with water? Often, not a lot of land around a mountain that's usable. Plateau's can be limited or very far apart....

Just trying to work out the wrinkles in my own head....

Sigurd

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    Sounds neat Rel!

Something like this? (sorry, render, not map )

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hfislands.png 
Views:	130 
Size:	338.4 KB 
ID:	7370

-Rob A>
    Awesome! That's a great example of what I had in mind for an individual plateau cluster. Depending on size, something like that would be a single kingdom or collection of city-states (who may or may not be on good terms with one another).

Now if you had a couple dozen groups like that (mixed in with a few individual but larger plateaus) separated by distances from a couple miles to a hundred miles or more, that's what my campaign world would look like.