Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Sleepy Dwarf Inn [commission]

Thank you everyone for the comments.

J. Edward, you're right about the window light. I thought about it for a moment and guessed no one would notice. But you did, and I may fix that.

Arsheesh, thanks. I should include a scale.

Great map Vhey.

I hate people who rip off other people's work for use in commercial maps, but in this case @Carnifex I don't think Vhey ripped off your carpet. To my eye the two objects are different, and Vhey's carpet is not based off a recoloured Carnifex carpet. Try overlaying them and take another look Carnifex. If it was based on your carpet, it has been so altered it is no longer an issue, and altering it that much would have taken much longer than just making it from scratch. Your own overlay clearly shows this.

Good things: lighting; unlike @J.Edward I really like your 'rough' fire light on the rug and tiles. Great paving tiles that fit in with the overall style. Great consistency of colour and style overall. Great light and shadow effects. Great window and door treatment.

Critique: unused fireplace on floor 2 looks blurred. Stairs on floor 2 could use a darker shadow imo (to contrast with the light in the floor 1 stairs and stand out a bit).

Quote Originally Posted by Jacktannery View Post
    I hate people who rip off other people's work for use in commercial maps, but in this case @Carnifex I don't think Vhey ripped off your carpet. To my eye the two objects are different, and Vhey's carpet is not based off a recoloured Carnifex carpet. Try overlaying them and take another look Carnifex. If it was based on your carpet, it has been so altered it is no longer an issue, and altering it that much would have taken much longer than just making it from scratch. Your own overlay clearly shows this.
    The carpet in the map
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	themap.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	105.0 KB 
ID:	79232

My design (posted here a while ago)

Name:	m3qnder.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	266.4 KB 
ID:	79233

The two aligned

Name:	aligned.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	158.0 KB 
ID:	79234

The two on top of eachother - 100% match

Name:	match.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	163.6 KB 
ID:	79235

Further: I have worked with images professionally for 25 years. I'd say it's impossible to hand paint the meander design from scratch. So how did he do it? I worked many hours with mine. Maybe based it off another source? But then the match of my design is a bit too close (exact).

Note : His carpet was not 100% round - probably scaled it without Shift in Photoshop.

OF COURSE I COULD BE WRONG... and then I AM SORRY.. I agree there are many similar images on google. I It just seemed a bit to close.
    Last edited by Carnifex; 01-18-2016 at 05:44 AM.

Well, this is very unfortunate. I didn't want my first post to be me constantly defending myself. So I'll just give you my psd file that I use to create my round rugs. I'm not giving permission to use, just trying to show I'm not a horrible person. It's very simple really. It's unfortunate that we both use a common pattern style that's been used for centuries. I make my pitiful living creating art, I know what it's like to have someone steal your art. That's why I would never come to a website and post my art if I knew I stole from one of the more popular and prominent users.

If you're worried about me, you need to get to work letting all these other people know about your design.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	greek circle pattern.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	448.7 KB 
ID:	79237
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails round rug.psd  

Well... then it's just a coincidence rthat my design had exactly the same appearance as the one you used. It could happen.

That said... I'd be happy if someone used my stuff as inspiration.

Banned User

Hi Vhey, I looked at your psd file and I have a question about how you do something ... I notice you have circular guide lines, but I was wondering how you make the blue meander lines follow those guides? The corners are square, so if you use a square brush, how do you rotate it to follow the curved line? Always looking to learn new techniques .....

Quote Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
    You more or less copied the meander carpets from me
    What nonsense! I know several places that have this pattern, sites that sell it and I could make it myself if I wanted to. It's an old universal pattern. You wouldn't stand a rat's chance of asserting a copyright on it! But if you were here in Germany, I could you into a lot of trouble for making a public accusation of IP theft that you wouldn't be able to back up. I don't know what Swedish law says about such things.
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project

I think Jacktannery may have misunderstood me - I like the fire light... a lot.
    I was just trying to come up with some suggestions.
    The light angle isn't a huge deal. It just adds consistency. That's all. No worries.
    I'm sorry your first visit here has turned out this way. It's not how things go normally.
    Hopefully it doesn't turn you off to the Guild.

(Discretely trying change the focus from any carpet issues)

That's a great map Vhey! I strongly like the windows and the way you added just a slightly hint of what is outside the building. Actually adds more than one might think. Splendid work!

In case you want some feedback (and this is just me being picky), I think you could add some hints of dust or dirt inside. It's very clean, and just some irregularities like a crack in one of the tiles, or some crumbs on the table, would really add the feeling that somebody actually is living there.

Cheers,
    Tainotim

Banned User

Don't sweat it, you're not the only one who has been falsely accused. People are a bit paranoid about this around here.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast