Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Outside Wagon map

Wip Outside Wagon map

A new experimental map I'm working on - this is really a huge experiment, I'm trying a few new things here in terms of style and technique! Wanted to start a new WIP, although this is a bit further along than the typical WIP! I'm having a really hard time with the cliff on the left of the map, but that's my goal this week!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WagonMap.png 
Views:	229 
Size:	6.81 MB 
ID:	79795

Hope everyone had a lovely Tuesday!

Nice start! I like what you have already.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Hehe, a good old "tree trunk" ambush ! Excellent start indeed.
    Not sure about the details you added on some tree tops. It should be more round or spiky (depending on the tree species), imho.

Nice Start Saria; Like your linework. Couple things on the cliffs, JEdwards has a couple nice ones that's he's done, you might want to check them out, also I did some for my last Nature Center Map. That being said, these are two different styles. Mine was done horizontally since the geology of the area is shale and limestone, which have a thin horizontal strata, a more granite type rock might have more vertical cliffs. So you might think about the location or not

Wip

Thanks everyone for your comments, I tried to improve the map some.

And let me be honest here... I'm so screwed. I have tried all afternoon to do the cliff and cannot at all get it to look even slightly good. I might have to actually give up soon. Anyway, thought I'd throw up the new WIP. I hate seeing the limitations of my abilities! I have SO much to learn.

Here's the latest WIP:

Name:	WagonMap2.png 
Views:	97 
Size:	7.06 MB 
ID:	79829

I'd take inspiration from some larger scale maps and how they represent cliffs I think it would lend itself well to the line style. It would be a shame to give up on this one its coming along nicely!

Guild Adept Facebook Connected jpstod's Avatar

The Map looks great...find your own style...There are people like me who tend to like simple maps...Slow down, walk away when you start getting frustrated but don't give up...I am just starting to use Gimp for illustrations...Your Far ahead of me when it comes to making maps with an Illustrator.
    The Wayward Traveler
    Guildmaster Galveston Island Adventurer's Guild
    http://jpstodwftexas.deviantart.com
    http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/p...?term=John+Pau
    [url]http://www.patreon.com/TheWaywardTraveler[url]

Quote Originally Posted by madcowchef View Post
    I'd take inspiration from some larger scale maps and how they represent cliffs I think it would lend itself well to the line style. It would be a shame to give up on this one its coming along nicely!
    Quote Originally Posted by jpstod View Post
    The Map looks great...find your own style...There are people like me who tend to like simple maps...Slow down, walk away when you start getting frustrated but don't give up...I am just starting to use Gimp for illustrations...Your Far ahead of me when it comes to making maps with an Illustrator.
    Thank you so much to both of you Really appreciate your encouragement!! I still have to learn "artist resilience". I still have yet to develop that patience and confidence, but I will!

Very good. Great colour choices and linework especially. Cliffs are very difficult. I find it easiest to make them overhang a little, crack the surface up at the edge, make the upper plateau a bit paler with a white overlay, then shade down from top to bottom. Example attached. Tricky stuff though.

Name:	examplecliff.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	79846

That's a photo of some mud by the way. You could just hand-draw the cracks. The important thing is to make it look JAGGED.

Jack, thank you so much for giving me an example to visualize! Very kind of you. Also really appreciate the feedback!! I have some time this weekend so hopefully can practice this darn cliff some more

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast