Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: November Entry: Dont Panic !

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm pretty familiar with the LCARS interface designs...and I didn't make a connection with your map.

About the only LCARS thing is the curved lead in bar.... and not that much.

-Rob A>

Bleah (not yours RR; yours is actually reasonably clear and reminds me of the in-universe magazine that came with the original Wing Commander). Navigating LCARS is like trying to navigate Windows using the periodic table of elements. I'd go blind after a week of using that kind of interface.

Blog Entries

I think I must be last to know about this stuff then.

I have no idea whether it is like LCARS or not. I did it from memory with that curvy bit which was a deliberate nod to the Star Trek panels - mainly cos I have lost all my ingenuity to come up with something new.

The heights above and below the plane were ripped from the ole Elite game but I see that system being used a lot in various charts now. When animated in real time you could roll and pitch the ship and actually navigate your ship using those lines. I even did a search on google for the name generator for the planets that Elite used too - that was another inspired bit of programming. All the planet names were algorithmically made and some sounded really cool.

I never made it to Elite tho. I think I got to 'Dangerous' and realized I needed to shoot down a zillion more of those round ships - forgotten what they are called now - in hyperspace which was indeed pretty tricky.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elite_(video_game)

They have images there on that wiki link but none show the head up display radar with a significant bar over the flight plane. Nach.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234