Thread: Highmoon - First attempt at a town map

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Nice map! My advice is to desaturate the colours...they are quite loud, especially the roofs of the houses. The fields are also very bright .... do have a look online at colour tutorials, whether it's fantasy or reality, having a consistent colour pallete really helps. A quick fix would be just to layer a colour on top of the entire map and lower the transparency. Noise is also a great way to add texture. I've had a play and it's by no means perfect but this is sort of what I mean
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	highmoon2 copy.jpg 
Views:	641 
Size:	163.3 KB 
ID:	7932  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I knew there was something tapping me on the shoulder about this but didn't know what it was until Ravs pointed it out...excellent color mod by the way. Overall the composition looks great and the execution is good as well but that one lil bit about color really makes it hum. I grant thee a Nice Job!
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Novice

The river could perhaps use a contour line to make it stand out a little more among the forest.
    Last edited by Pandora; 11-20-2008 at 04:22 AM.
    If you cant say what youre meaning,
    you can never mean what youre saying.

- Centauri Minister of Intelligence, Babylon 5

Software used: mostly Photoshop, but icons may come from CC3.

Guild Novice

Map

As always, you comments have helped me develop my maps (and skills).
    It was also my thought that the map was too bright but I had no idea on how to darken it, as I almost exclusively use CC3 it was difficult to filter etc.
    Ravells comments set me off to find out what desaturate meant in mapping terms with the final conclusion that maybe I need to invest in photoshop.

I sort of got round the problem by adding a grey layer which I then made transparent and blurred. I then finished the whole lot of with a touch of Spatial Matrix Processing to darken the map. I have also added a black blur to the river to make it stand out a bit more.

I think this is a far as Highmoon will go for now, I keep fidlding and its time to move on, as indeed have my players!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	highmoon5.JPG 
Views:	79 
Size:	152.4 KB 
ID:	8010  
    Found in a computer dictionary..Recursive - see recursive...
    Software used - Campaign Cartographer 3, DD3 and CC3.

Good job, goatdealer. I like how it turned out and I repped you for it.
    I still wish you would post a higher resolution version. The map is blurry because it's so small.

Investing time in software like Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro is never a bad idea. I saw some great maps which were started in CC3 and then finished in Photoshop.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Guild Novice

Thanks to you all for your help and comments. I shall download gimp forthwith (though you do realize it will only lead to me needing more help).

Gandwarf: Many thanks for your rep and and assistance, in regard to the resolution issue, the simple truth of the matter is I don't know how!
    I did these images by using the save as rectangular area jpeg option, I also tried screen dumping it but that was worse, is there a better way?

I am happy to send you the original fcw file if you want to see what I am doing wrong!.
    Found in a computer dictionary..Recursive - see recursive...
    Software used - Campaign Cartographer 3, DD3 and CC3.

Quote Originally Posted by goatdealer View Post
    Thanks to you all for your help and comments. I shall download gimp forthwith (though you do realize it will only lead to me needing more help).
    We've helped a few people get familiar with Gimp, so no worries.

Just post and ask questions if you get stuck.

-Rob A>