Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Tilt-Shift and Time Lapse Films

Hmm... Apparently my reputation power is up to +8 now... Cool!
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by RPMiller View Post
    Ding, ding ding! Yes you are correct. My feux pas with the picture name almost spoiled it. Thanks to SG for pointing out my oversight... Have to be more careful in the future.

So back to my question to SG, are there any identifying characteristics that are only found in London, other than landmarks that is?
    Black taxi cabs? The Red phone boxes and the old route-master double decker buses have gone now, I'm afraid.

Black taxi cabs? Now that is interesting. Do you know the story behind the color choice?
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

No phone boxes! How does the Doctor hide the Tardis then?

@Ravs - I almost said Picadilly Circus (just as a wild guess of course).

@RP - I don't see anything obvious to me, I would have said something about which side of the road the cars are on, but it's difficult to tell as they all appear to be one-way streets.
    Last edited by Steel General; 11-25-2008 at 08:26 PM.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I've seen this same sort of pic from this relative angle hundreds of times so I knew it was London just couldn't remember the place name. The traffic flow also helps to identify it...everything is going opposite from us here in the U.S. Of course there are other countries that go that way but this angle is sort of an iconic shot.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Quote Originally Posted by RPMiller View Post
    Black taxi cabs? Now that is interesting. Do you know the story behind the color choice?
    Same colour as a hearse because most people wouldn't be seen dead in one?

No idea! do tell!

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Same colour as a hearse because most people wouldn't be seen dead in one?

No idea! do tell!
    Hehehe, I have no idea. I was asking you.

I can tell you why US taxis are yellow though:

"In 1907, car salesman John Hertz looked at his surplus of traded-in cars and decided to start a taxicab business. Since taxis need to stand out in a sea of cars, Hertz reportedly commissioned a study to determine which color was easiest to spot at a distance. The answer was yellow.

His Chicago Yellow Cab Company was the first taxicab service to use that now-familiar moniker. However, these days not all Yellow Cabs are yellow cabs.

In 1923, Hertz expanded his automobile empire by purchasing a car-rental business from Walter L. Jacobs. Although this particular company was acquired by General Motors a few years later, it was only the beginning for Hertz's rental cars and his affinity for yellow.

In fact, when the entrepreneur established the Hertz Corporation in 1953, he used yellow in the new logo."

Or so I've heard...

I suspect that it might have something to do with the original horse-drawn hackneys which were also traditonally black (at least they are in the movies). It could be that black paint was cheap? Interesting one though.

Here is another cure tilt-shift time laps work - a monster truck rally:
    http://keithloutit.com/2008/11/23/metal-skin/

Also, I found this comparison of a real tilt-shift lens with photoshop:
    http://www.thecleverest.com/photography/349

One interesting thing is how the tilt shift has more of an orthagonal projection... It seems to reduce the perspective distortions on the building walls, for example, so a distortion like that before applying the effect might help make it more "real-model" looking

EDIT: Here is a link of 50 examples, still and video http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2008...t-photography/

-Rob A>

Great links, thanks RobA! Interestingly enough I think I prefer the PS'd ones over the actual camera versions. I think I need the more heightened effect to really see the pseudo miniaturization of the overall scene. I noticed that you added some comments to thecleverest.com's blog. Well done! Show him how an expert would do it.

I think I'm going to make a video tutorial of how to do it with PS and put it up on YouTube. I want to find a good picture to do it with though and one that is Creative Commons so that I don't step on anyone's toes.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast