Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd View Post
Ambitious indeed.

Qs.

What format are you storing your graphics files in?

I notice all your examples are square. Is that the current field of your algorithms?

What programming language(s) are you using?

Have you thought about working through individual aspects separately? If so, do you have a part of the process you're working on right now? You know, if the interesting bit is the world making. You might be able to make some cool filters for the Gimp or Photoshop. You'd be spared from doing the rest of the interface.

Can you generate your rivers on a separate layer and then apply only localized erosion around the rivers to preserve the rest of your map? Or offer a sliding scale to the user starting with the rivers and proceeding with the rest of the erosion?

Sigurd

Good luck
Sigurd:
The map generator is in C++, and write BMP's. You can then -if you want- convert them to GIF or JPG. The main application is in VB6, and reads an ASCII .map file containing info of roads, pins, locations, graphic files locations height, width, comments...

As I am using the diamond sqare fractal algorithm the maps are sqare, but in the .map you can specify your height and width. I am planning to add the Perlin noise algorithm in the generation (as in Terragen, using both diamond sqare and Perlin noise)

About being spared from doing the rest of the interface, I actually WANT to do the whole interface! so I can keep control of all the features.

About generating the rivers in a separate layer is a pretty good idea, and the post erossion could work too, but the actual problem is to define a credible river path considering the geological surroundigs and the climate/precipitations.

I will start thinking about the post-erossion and the posibilities of the extra river-lake layer. Thx a lot for your comments.

Regards