Thank you all for the suggestions. Here is a brief update shot with the escape pods, an airlock, and a thicker wall between the crew and cargo areas. We've been playing with this layout for a few months now, so I would have difficulty with the other gamers if I started moving rooms or escape pod locations.
Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Audacious Albatross 7a.jpg 
Views:	2411 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	8672
Since we use Wizards of the Coast (WotC) maps sometimes, I have put their door symbol (the blueish rounded rectangle) in all the doorways. [That keeps the symbols consistent from map to map.] Some of them are lighter, which depict hidden doors or not-often-used doors. The original layout (from West End Games, see original post) used a black-to-white gradient for the ramps. I felt that a black-to-transparent gradient worked better for this drawing.

I cannot think of how to better distinguish the cargo lift (in the center of the cargo bay). Currently I have a hazard strip around it. But that doesn't make that area look like it is a cargo lift, just like an area with a hazard strip around it. Any additional criticisms or comments are welcome.