Thread: Morphing a Map Over Time

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Notsonoble View Post
    I'm not so sure about the flash thing. Gif's 256 color limit for something like this really should be enough,
    If you want a simple line map with solid fills, sure. Antialiasing really eats up your colors, though, and if you want to do something fancy like Mercator-style faded edge political borders, then you're into gradients, which take still more colors. To say nothing of using a shaded relief map underneath. Gif might be an okay place to start, but I think its limits will come into play very quickly.

'Tis true that there are some accessibility issues with Flash. The development problems aren't a big deal, though, really. As long you're not creating an interface or doing something fancy like that, it's pretty easy to get along with: vector drawing tools and keyframe animation. Only a bit tougher than learning Inkscape or Illustrator, in my opinion.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Guild Applicant

Wow, this is all so much for me to take in! I have read all the options. I must apologize to say i really don't have any clue where to start. I know some flash and i am a programmer so i can work with javascripting.

Any suggestions on where to begin making these maps? what might be a good beginner step?

RobA, i'd also be interested in learning more about how you do it with Javascript/example you might have...

rekaj