Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
GP - you play Euchre in IL?!

I though it was just an Ontario thing (since I never heard of it when I lived out west...)

-Rob A>
Threadjack again...

RobA, believe it or not Euchre is very localized, in Illinois its probably limited to LaSalle and Bureau Counties, nobody from 50 miles away has heard of the game. Kind of like Pork Tenderloins, you'll only find good ones in LaSalle County - everywhere else they are too thick and called Pork Fritters!

I hear they play Euchre in parts of Kansas and Arizona too - met people from there who've played the game.

We also play "Dirty Spades" which is Euchre for 3 people, no partners, if the dealer flips spades, spades is trump automatically, but dealer only needs two tricks to survive. Dirty spades you throw in a 9 of spades so there's more spades than any other suit. You're only set for 3 if you lose if Spades is trump.

We also play Rabbit, which is Euchre for five people, no partners again, with all the nines and the Joker included (Joker beats the right bower), then each person bids how many tricks they can get, whoever bids highest names trump, then its just like Euchre. You can also bid no trump highs - which is having Aces and Joker to bid with, or no trump lows - which is opposite, being stuck with a bunch of nines and tens and maybe the Joker.

They have Euchre tournaments around here, but I don't go, cheating is very prevalent. Nothing like playing against two old ladies that are cheating right in front of you. Everything from signals to showing the bottom card to your partner as you deal. I never play in Euchre tournaments for that reason.

end threadjack...

GP