Page 10 of 37 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] My atlas style in PS

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    1. Click on the Move tool (looks like a pointer). Then on the keyboard, hit the -> key (right arrow) 200 times.

Not that I pretend to know anything about photoshop, but doesn't shift-cursor keys move 10 pixels? That would only be 20 times then

-Rob A>

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Rob - I did not know that, cool There ya go, learn something new everyday.
    DB - SG is probably right about it being lighting effects. I'd have to see a screenshot of the settings that you used for the lighting effects filter. I can't be sure but I also detect something wrong with the blend mode of the color overlay and the layer itself. The blend mode of the color overlay should be soft light and the blend mode of the layer itself should be hard light. If that isn't the problem then it probably is lighting effects.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Novice Facebook Connected DethinBlack's Avatar

Yeah, I posted that, and started another one, and found what it was that I was screwing up on. Misunderstood some of the layers... Meh, The mountains look correct now. I will see about posting attempt two when I get done.

One thing I should mention I guess, Is that I usually go through the tutorial a few times, to gain the skill of it. The last one didn't have a very realistic mountain structure, and the next one probably wont either. After I feel comfortable with the techniques, I work on something... Usable? I think that's the right word.

I dont know how everyone else does it, but that is my way of doing things

That's what I tell everyone as well...do it a few times and get the hang of it. When you get to where you have things memorized halfway you can then start changing and experimenting. Be sure to post up the "final" version that you're doing
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

Oh, I definitely will. I figure that you would like to see the results of those that have learned from your tutorial. Plus, I like praise, It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy

Oh, And, Your tutorial is awesome!

Well, Its not completely finished, and I don't have the time to work on it more right now. Just got finished with the second adjust layer... which I might adjust more but hey... It actually took me much less time to do it this time, but I didn't save, and the friggen thing crashed... and Ive been in and out. Gots to remember the saving!

anyway, Ive made much more sense of it now, and I am about to move to the big hills, and the crunchy layers. when I get the time ill come back, but work! gots to go to bed Anyway, tell me what you think

Also, Again. Awesome Tut. I love it, and some of the techniques will be going into a design I have in mind.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tut-Version-2.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	1.89 MB 
ID:	15072  

That's a great layout...island and continents are fairly close together, lots of possibilities in the mountains...good stuff good stuff. I could see myself having fun naming stuff there.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

When I was working on my latest map, I wanted to get more mountains a lot smaller and more detailed than the standard cloud rendering size. What i ended up doing was creating a second file at 8000x8000, rendered the clouds on that, and shrunk to 2000x2000. Then after removing the black, I tossed solid colour layer below that so I make out the clouds easier. After that I just used the lasso tool to nab clouds out of this file to paste into the main one on the mountains layer. I also used this image to generate the hills layer.

maybe that'll give out some more ideas

Great tut!

Here is the final result of this atempt:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Flaenia.jpg 
Views:	264 
Size:	2.72 MB 
ID:	15104

Now im goin to try your other tutorial, the antique map... both looks good.

Aside from the river violations (going over mountains, splitting as they go downstream instead of join, connecting two oceans, lakes having multiple outflows) it looks perfect.

Page 10 of 37 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast