Page 13 of 33 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] My atlas style in PS

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Gidde View Post
    No matter what I did, I couldn't get that shelf to look right (again, differences between ps-bevel and gimp-map). Any suggestions or ideas would be very welcome.
    Consider trying either the layer-effects script (or plugin) for gimp, or my chisel/carve script http://www.gimptalk.com/forum/chisel...32849s125.html on a slightly noised-up continental shelf selection.

-Rob A>

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Quote Originally Posted by Gidde View Post
    Sorry for the delay in posting ... between the tablet temporarily going haywire and how darned hard the continental shelf was to translate, this part took a while.

No matter what I did, I couldn't get that shelf to look right (again, differences between ps-bevel and gimp-map). Any suggestions or ideas would be very welcome.

As always, we have a PS shot following Asc's tut to the letter (or trying to), a gimp shot showing the translation, and a pdf for the steps followed.

I know this post is almost 2 1/2 years old now, but is there any way those PDFs you mention in this post and a few previous?

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Looks like you're making really good progress so far.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Thanks SG

I think this is the final translation. I didn't go into the country naming, city placing, labelling, etc., since it's already explained very well and didn't really need translation (those steps are pretty transferable from PS to gimp).

If anyone has any crits/suggestions for improvement, I'll certainly update it as needed.

I'm not uploading a PS version this time, since at this point it can be compared with Ascension's, and his is better I am uploading a Word version though, so that the real author can make edits if he wants to.

I hope this helps other gimp users as much as it helped me to make it. I learned a lot about both programs in the process. Thanks again for a great tutorial.

Gidde and Ascension,

Thank you so much for doing this. I was going through Gidde's Gimp translation last night and I got everything looking pretty good. The only problem is the tutorial uses a technique for generating random mountain range locations. While it appears to be possible to remove parts of them, I can't figure out how to simply draw them in. I am creating the worldmap for a D&D campaign that is currently in progress, and my players have already explored through some very specific mountain ranges. Any ideas on techniques for replacing the random generation through cloud layers with one that results in the same look, but in a pre-planned layout?

I should note that I tried applying Rob A's technique from his regional map tutorial, but I couldn't get the styles to mesh well.

Also, W00T post 200 on this thread!

Oops! Cross-post. I'll try that this afternoon and see if I can't get it looking better. Thanks Rob!

Gidde, I'm new to the Guild and am nearly finished with my first map. This map was made in GIMP, and for the most part, was created by means of your tutorial. I want to thank you fro taking the time to write up this tutorial. I have only a fledgling understanding of GIMP, and none at all of Photoshop. I sincerely doubt that I would be able to do a conversion of Ascension's Atlas Style on my own. You have earned "rep" in my book.

Cheers,

Arsheesh.

(Oh, almost forgot; here is a link to my map):

http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...8ish%29-Style!
    Last edited by arsheesh; 01-20-2010 at 04:06 PM.

Wooo, first post. Alright.

So, I'm having a little trouble with the tutorial so far. Step 17, in fact. I can't seem to figure out how to do the lighting on the "hills" layer right. Any tips?
    Last edited by Blackknight1239; 01-28-2010 at 05:27 AM.

Gidde, thanks for this conversion...Yours came out way better than my mix of it and RobA's regional map... and has me half tempted to redo my maps for Krenna again...

Repped... And yes your mountains do look better IMHO...
    My D&D/Roleplaying Blog Making a new effort to update every two weeks!
    Gimp Gradient Basics

Hey Rob, for some reason I'm getting an error when I try that link. Is it working for you?

Page 13 of 33 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast