Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: This is me! (Pictures Topic)

Quote Originally Posted by Rahva View Post
    Anyway, the fairly large and semi-wellknown place where I work recently had to screen some applicants. Monsterboard patched through some applications, two of which were extremely qualified for the job. My boss says to another division boss "Oh oh let's Google them " and they both had a good laugh about it. And then didn't do it.

I'm sure some companies do it, but it's probably not as bad as you think. If there's something embarrasing you don't want people to know, then keep it to yourself.
    I have worked for several large companies in the internet industry for over 8 years. And almost all applicants have been screened using the internet. That's what you get for trying to get a job at an internet company
    I know I have been screened as well. In a semi-recent job interview the interviewer used information he could only have gathered online
    It's almost impossible to keep your real name of the internet if you work in the internet industry, darn it...

Ah well, the internet is a hype anyway
    Last edited by Gandwarf; 01-30-2009 at 07:58 AM.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

I understand an respect all of your oppinions.

I like this forum because of the maps, but after seeing someone post some interesting things i start to wonder who is behind that nickname. Maybe im a bit voyeur
    I like the social aspect of this place as much as the creative.

And my reputation, ah well.. If i'm interesting enough to be googled, i'm happy

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    Put in a robots file banning them all and see how many of these spiders actually take any notice of it.
    Tell me about it I set up a "bad-bot" trap on my website.

I added an invisible link from my web site to a directory banned in a robot file. No person would ever follow it as they don't see the link, and browser pre-fetches respect robots files so I don't worry about "real people getting there"

I get 1-2 per week hitting it anyway. The only trick is that the .htaccess in that subdirectory tosses the source IP to the banned list of my firewall

(I also get a "Bad Robot" email report delivered to me each time so I can keep an eye on it)

-Rob A>

I have to say, being that I have the same name (diff spelling) as a famous sports person, good luck to anyone searching my name on the internet... I googled myself years ago and after about 20 pages of wrong information, I gave up.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    I have to say, being that I have the same name (diff spelling) as a famous sports person, good luck to anyone searching my name on the internet... I googled myself years ago and after about 20 pages of wrong information, I gave up.
    I have a similar situation with my name. I know there is a respected filmmaker who works for PBS doing documentaries who shares the same name with me. Then there is a ton of people on Facebook with the same name so someone googling my name might not actually get me. Then again, I do show up in the top five so they might find the real me but it would be a question of figuring out who's who.
    Cheers,
    Tim

Paratime Design Cartography

"Do infants have as much fun in infancy as adults do in adultery?" - Groucho Marx

Post I don't care about anonymity!

I'm sure it could bite me in the behind - but sometimes I use my real name in a post, sometimes I post my phone number. I figure I'm in business so remaining in anonymity is not an asset for marketing purposes.

If you Google my name, though there are others with my name, I'm number one for it on Google. I have the most links.

Finally, since I started my own business (this is my second business) 20 years ago, I don't plan on becoming an employee, and never worry about interviews, where the potential employer has found an issue. I have clients, not employers.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Googled myself once, about 5 years ago...apparently I'm a Chicago urologist who moonlights as a rock guitarist in the southwest, while playing all sorts of high school sports, and whenever I'm in Ohio I'm a gay-pride activist. No wonder my fraternity brothers give me weird looks and insulting e-mail.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

If you google me all you will find is a bunch of stuff on aviation and social site members (none of them are me as I don't use social sites). You won't find me and even if you do you would probably find it difficult to connect me to my usernames. When I use my real name I keep it professional and separate from my online handles so there is very little connecting one to the other.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast