Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Create a random town

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

That's exactly where I'd like to go, creating an entire fantasy world from the ground up just by pushing a few buttons, then combine it with Sigurd's find of that awesome German terrain renderer, then get something like the Sims to populate the place and I could have my own world/ant farm and with some powerful 3d apps I could walk among the people. Might need to get some of Pixar's computers or ILM's for that tho
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I think you guys should check-out this program:

Roleplaying City Map Generator:

It randomly generates towns along a lot of really complex options. I've been using it to generate the maps of my cities lately. Its drawback is that its output is particularly ugly (see my map of Loa in the completed works area (and that after touching it up a lot)).

If someone could make a program with the complexity and flexibility of Roleplaying City Map Generator, but with the really pretty, 3D output that you guys are doing here, it would be the best city mapping program ever.

just throwing that out there
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by CBDroege View Post
    I think you guys should check-out this program:

Roleplaying City Map Generator:

It randomly generates towns along a lot of really complex options. I've been using it to generate the maps of my cities lately. Its drawback is that its output is particularly ugly (see my map of Loa in the completed works area (and that after touching it up a lot)).

If someone could make a program with the complexity and flexibility of Roleplaying City Map Generator, but with the really pretty, 3D output that you guys are doing here, it would be the best city mapping program ever.

just throwing that out there
    Thanks for pointing that one out. It has been mentioned quite a few times here, and is the basis for a few tutorials.

I see the original author's site is down. We can host the zip here for now as a convenience (it is hosted at a few fileshare sites as well) but we may have to remove it pending any concerns from the author.

-Rob A>

Sorry about that. I haven't made it through the archives yet, and as it was really difficult for me to finally find this program, I thought it might not be widely spread. :/

Post Error

I tried running the file in the attached ZIP, but I got an error saying that comdlg32.ocx couldn't be found. Anyone know if there's a Vista (64-bit) equivalent to that ocx file?
    I think I've had this Deja Vu before...

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

Post noobie Gimper question

I unzipped the file into the .gimp-2.6>scripts folder but I can't find it when I open gimp

what am I doing wrong?
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

I found a working MSI of it instead of just the exe...
    Attached Files Attached Files

Ascension, I hadn't seen this tutorial before, it's pure genius!!!

I'm off to have a play to see if I can use it to get more convincing house distribution by playing with the initial noise layer.

Rated 5 and repped (if I can).

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Thanks, bro. I should probably revisit this and see what sort of tweaks or streamlining I can do to it.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I've managed to get some reasonably believable city block designs with some fiddling (all filters)....I think we may be onto something here. This distribution doesn't look half bad. Now I just have to remember what I did to get this.

I did use the Xenoflex mosaic filter rather than the photoshop one...have you got that, Ascension?

Must say I'm quite excited about this!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	experiment 1 copy.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	13602  

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast