Thread: Neweastland

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mimi

Map Neweastland

In absence of a proper introduction in the appropriate place I thought it would be more meaningful to break the ice by posting a map.

This is a map of a region called Neweastland, it's a for a fantasy setting with a colonial theme and is my first substantial attempt at creating a terran campaign map. It was made with the goal of beng, clear, bright, easily readable and a tad cartoonish. I think it does that pretty well. My main quandary is the geography, whilst I wasn't trying to make anything that was particularly accurate or realistic I think I let myself down on the quantity and length of rivers.

The map was made almost entierly in GIMP, I drew the basic geography by hand, added mountains by a process that ammounts to Lasso tool, solid noise, border selection, gaussian blur, cranking up the contrast, 00000 to alpha, emboss, then I painted the terrain with the airbrush tool, added some patterns to certain areas to give definition to the terrain, splashed some forests on then jammed a pile of icons on top. This version is indexed to 256 colours to make it smaller.

The text was a freaking pain, I accidently deleted entire sets of names about 3 times and had to redo the manually. For my first real try I'm pretty pleased with it.

What do you guys think?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	compressfinal.png 
Views:	191 
Size:	2.17 MB 
ID:	10543