Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Modern city

Just thinking.... would you consider changing the scale? for the modern city, I can see 3 types of roads. 1px for 2 lane roads, including possible split highways and for suburbs, with 2 px roads for 4 some 4 lane city streets, and 2.5 px for 5 lane streets with center turn lane. Possibly some freeway roads at 3 or 4 px. City blocks would then average 4 times a 2.5 px road (so 10 px per block) and the most skyscrapers are a city block by themselves.

Anyway if you make changes or not (I am not saying you have to, just sharing some thoughts "on paper") this is a very nice map...
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I had actually started that way, even doing cloverleafs, but I got tired that night and accidentally hit close before I saved it and lost it all and decided I didn't want the headache anymore and went as simple as possible Good point about skyscrapers taking up city blocks...will have to ruminate on this.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

It's taken me all week but I finally got my roads done...I should call this masochism city. Put down some preliminary buildings as well; 2 layers for urban, 2 layers for suburban, and 2 layers for rural. Started the decorating process with a baseball stadium and a football stadium...should these be bigger? Going to add some parks, a zoo, some golf courses, two colleges, an airport, some docks and some boats n barges on the river. Haven't yet decided if I want to add some kind of world wonder like pyramids or something or if I want to put in some airplanes circling around...if I did something like that I'd probably opt for a dragon rider or UFO to terrorize the populace.

It looks very regimented right now...too regular and that's what the parks and stuff are going to be for...break up the space a bunch. When I get that part done I'll throw some variety into the suburbs with some taller buildings as hospitals or something.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	modern city.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	4.49 MB 
ID:	10826  
    Last edited by Ascension; 03-01-2009 at 12:25 AM.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

Can't find the stadiums at all...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Yeah me either...
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Oooooo I'ts like a big game of "Where's Waldo" (which I rather suck at)...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stadium.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	1.52 MB 
ID:	10841  
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------

Can you add an overlay so all the buildings are not the same colour?

Also- I like the building shadows on the water. I guess it isn;t possible to have the shadows cast on other buildings, too, eh?

-Rob A>

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I'll be honest, I never would have found those stadiums . Though the map is looking quite cool.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

I have a shadow layer directly underneath each building type layer...tallest buildings on top (skyscrapers1, skyscrapers1 shadow, skyscrapers2, skyscrapers2 shadow, suburban1, suburban1 shadow, suburban2, suburban2 shadow, rural1, rural1 shadow, rural2, rural2 shadow, then streets). So the shadows do indeed fall on and across other buildings, although you probably can't tell (because of the tiny scale and blockiness) until I turn the shadows off...then everything gets quite a bit more brown. I believe that my shadows are currently at 75% opacity. I could go with a higher opacity and try hard light or darken for the mode. Alternatively, I could lengthen the shadows...my skyscrapers1 shadow is 12 pixels long with other layers being 8, 6, 4, 2, and 1. Lastly, I think that once I start breaking up the spaces with parks n stuff that this will probably go away to some extent. At any rate, I will keep this in mind before my next post and fiddle with things as necessary to bring out the shadows a bit more.

J -- yeah man, that's them...I should probably put some parking lots around em. Ooo, and I'll move the baseball stadium to the waterfront for splash down homers.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast