Thread: Here's a question for you

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The last thing I did in GIMP was to take my continent and split it into three parts.

I had the idea that I would create a Northern, Central, and Southern Land Mask.

I was thinking that I could render the textures and colors for each region using the land masks and that way all three regions would have a different look/feel.

What I wasn't sure about is how they would blend with each other, and, how to put them all together for the finished map.

I would end up with three layers (more w/ the ocean but I digress) and I wasn't quite sure how I put those layers together and then blend them smoothly.

Should the land masks overlap a bit? I was stumped on how to cut the continent up and then how to put it all together again.

The map is 1800 x 2400 pixles so I suppose I could do segments of 600. The selection tool jumps 2 pixles at a time so there would be a pixle over lap however I do it. (which I suppose a one pixle overlap isn't too bad)

What would be the best way to do this?

(what I was going to do) Take the continent and use the rectangle select tool and select the segment, then white out the rest and create that as a layered mask. Then do the next section, then the next etc, and end up with three layered masks that I would then use to generate different colors and textures to each section of the continent?

How to put them all together at the end is where I am somewhat stumped. (I probably know how I am just so brain fried trying to figure this all out and am suffering a tad of overload)
    Last edited by Lute; 02-24-2009 at 01:13 PM.