Thread: *** March 09 Challenge - Rivermania ***

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

C'mon Redrobes, we don't want to do all the work for you!

I do believe there is a 2000x2000 png without the grid in the planning forum but we chose not to provide it since we are allowing mods to the coastline.

If people really demand it it could be provided, I guess...

-Rob A>

You know, I think I just might have a go at this one. Will definitely be good practice in one of what I consider to be my weaker areas. But just a bit of clarification;

The 1/5th and 1/10th restrictions - do these have to be separate water courses, or can they be continuations of water courses from neighboring squares?

Are we also looking for communities along these water courses, or is that up to the discretion of the contestant?

Lastly, although the scale of the overall area is up to the discretion of the individual contestants, does the final product have to match the physical size of the original map, or does it only have to maintain the proportions?

GW
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Quote Originally Posted by Greason Wolfe View Post
    You know, I think I just might have a go at this one. Will definitely be good practice in one of what I consider to be my weaker areas. But just a bit of clarification;

The 1/5th and 1/10th restrictions - do these have to be separate water courses, or can they be continuations of water courses from neighboring squares?

Are we also looking for communities along these water courses, or is that up to the discretion of the contestant?

Lastly, although the scale of the overall area is up to the discretion of the individual contestants, does the final product have to match the physical size of the original map, or does it only have to maintain the proportions?

GW
    The water courses can be continuations of those in neighboring squares.

As for communities, that is totally left to the discretion of the mapper as to how much detail they wish to put into the map. Of course, more completed and prettier maps are usually going to garner more votes...

Proportions have to match as does the grid count(100 squares,10x10). If one person wants a square to be 5 miles and another wants a square to be 300 miles, that's fine.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    Proportions have to match as does the grid count(100 squares,10x10). If one person wants a square to be 5 miles and another wants a square to be 300 miles, that's fine.
    Ach! I should have been more clear with my question. The original map (from the first post) is 500 by 500 pixels. Does the final product have to be that size as well, or can it be larger (i.e. for more detail). I would assume it could be, but want to be sure before I go hog wild and river crazy with it.

GW
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Quote Originally Posted by Greason Wolfe View Post
    Ach! I should have been more clear with my question. The original map (from the first post) is 500 by 500 pixels. Does the final product have to be that size as well, or can it be larger (i.e. for more detail). I would assume it could be, but want to be sure before I go hog wild and river crazy with it.

GW
    Ah!! the size is totally up to the mapper as long as the aspect ratio is maintained. The image was just a sample for posting so you could get the shape and layout of the land..
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    C'mon Redrobes, we don't want to do all the work for you!
    Oh allllriight then tsk tsk... I expect that if I flatten it to about 16 colors it will fix it anyway. I'll have a go if I have a little time.

Blog Entries

The little challenge was supposed to end last night and I ran the thumbnailer then. If a CL wants to move this to a new entry thread and post me a note then ill add it and run it again. If the threads are locked and then I can run the script to ensure were all up to date then that would be better I think. Also gives people a few days to see the final versions before deciding.