Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: The Steel Remains

the headwaters are really blobby.
    It's a totally minor thing taht nobody but a few of us perfection-obsessed cartographers will ever notice. But still, I sure would like to find a way to do rivers better in general. It's high on my "I suck at this" list.

I was looking at the Vaniya map, and the headwaters work well enough there, just as simple black lines thinning to sharp points. But that map has a particular style that lets a thick black pointy line work well. I don't think that's any kind of universal solution (which there probably isn't one of, anyway).

Quote Originally Posted by Karro View Post
    Wait... you're a lawyer?

I guess we all do what we have to in order to make a living... but it's what we do for love that really defines us! [At least lawyering is more interesting than what I do.] If you're a lawyer in England, does that mean you have to wear the robes and wig? I wonder what court would be like over here if we made our lawyers do that.

Also... since this is now in a real live fantasy novel, doesn't that make you an industry pro, too?
    lol...no we got rid of wigs and gowns in the '90s, although I still have mine somewhere. It was quite a contested issue at the time: the antis said that it was antiquated and out of touch and the pros said that it gave court proceedings a sense of gravitas.

I wouldn't consider myself an industry pro - this is strictly a hobby for me!

cheers

Ravs

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Don't the actually call lawyers 'barristers' (or something like that) in England - or at least I thought I heard that somewhere.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    ...the pros said that it gave court proceedings a sense of gravitas.
    hah - who would think that wearing robes would give a sense of gravitas - thats so silly... oh erm shuffle shuffle.

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    lol...no we got rid of wigs and gows in the '90s, although I still have mine somewhere. It was quite a contested issue at the time: the antis said that it was antiquated and out of touch and the pros said that it gave court proceedings a sense of gravitas.

I wouldn't consider myself an industry pro - this is strictly a hobby for me!

cheers

Ravs
    Ah. I assume your judges at least still wear the robes, though (at least ours do... although I can't even tell you when they ditched the wigs).

I think there is a lot of room between "purely a hobby" and "working professional", and I suspect there's room in that spectrum for "getting paid and/or publicly lauded to do my hobby".
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

There is also potentially a great distance between "working professional" and "getting paid"!

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    Don't the actually call lawyers 'barristers' (or something like that) in England - or at least I thought I heard that somewhere.
    Court going lawyers are called barristers and client facing lawyers (as I am these days..I jumped the fence) are called solicitors.

It's a good system which works well. Us solicitors tend to get too close to our client's causes and the barristers we hire keep us objective.

Quote Originally Posted by Karro View Post
    Ah. I assume your judges at least still wear the robes, though (at least ours do... although I can't even tell you when they ditched the wigs).

I think there is a lot of room between "purely a hobby" and "working professional", and I suspect there's room in that spectrum for "getting paid and/or publicly lauded to do my hobby".
    Depends on the court. In the commercial court they wear suits, but in the criminal courts they still wear robes...probably to add that sense of gravitas. Don't believe the serial criminals buy it for a second though.

Quote Originally Posted by waldronate View Post
    There is also potentially a great distance between "working professional" and "getting paid"!
    From what I've heard and read it's a veritable gulf.....pretty much the same as law <S>

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Quote Originally Posted by waldronate View Post
    Touche.

That's why I got a business degree in college: I feared that the likelihood of "getting paid" to do something I love was fairly slim. It turns out, on the other hand, that "getting paid" to do something you don't love is frightfully boring and soul-draining.

So... that's why we (i.e. I) have these hobbies!
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast