Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Setting Gimp on the throne

Ok, thanks for that. I'm pretty much sold on layers.
    I knew they were useful, but I'm beginning to see just HOW useful.

Doh! I hadn't realised the 'old' versions of Gimp were bug fixes and only a few months old. That'll be why there isn't an up-to-date help file. I'll go grab one of those 'old' helpfiles. I've installed the latest Gimp, it seems to run ok on W2K.

I might start the throne again from scratch and build it up in layers, saving in xcf and applying what I've learned. Then I can get rid of those 'wings' on the backrest and practise copying some of the shadow techniques you've shown me, and maybe pick up some other tips from the helpfiles as I go. I might even see if I can carve some runes on it.

What 'width' of shadows did you use, Rob? Mine were set at 50.

I tried adding a seat cushion to it today, but it turned out a bit 'floaty'. If I can put some shadow on top of it, it might look better. This is fun so far - taking up far too much time that I don't have, but fun nevertheless.
    Last edited by icosahedron; 03-18-2009 at 05:24 PM.
    Mapping a Traveller ATU.

See my (fantasy-based) apprenticeship blog at:

http://www.viewing.ltd.uk/cgi-bin/vi...forums&sx=1024

Look for Chit Chat, Sandmann's blog. Enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by icosahedron View Post
    Doh! I hadn't realised the 'old' versions of Gimp were bug fixes and only a few months old. That'll be why there isn't an up-to-date help file. I'll go grab one of those 'old' helpfiles. I've installed the latest Gimp, it seems to run ok on W2K.
    Yep. x.y.z versioning format:

• x is the major version which means some very large changes.
    • y is for some minor features (not that all users will think the are minor additions!).
    • z is generally for fixing bugs that are found that can't wait for a y release to be fixed.

Software producers have a WIDE range in timelines between releases, but you could expect GIMP to release y releases perhaps once a year and several z releases throughout the year.

Ok, thanks for that. I'm pretty much sold on layers.
    I knew they were useful, but I'm beginning to see just HOW useful.
    GREAT. now.. play for a few weeks and make sure to check out my layer MASK tutorial (channels are one way to make repeatable masks) and you will realize quickly just how much more useful it is when using layer masks opposed to layers alone(not for everything... sometimes it's overkill...) One of your goals should be trying to make non destructive alterations as much as possible. Layers (and eventually layer masks) will help with this a TON.

Also.. be sure to check out RobA's scripts for GIMP as well as several others floating around as they greatly simplify things (GURM!!!!!). There is also a really nice noise maker that is far better than the default one named Femilage... get it as soon as you realize you want/need to add some noise to an image.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Blog Entries

Robs scripts are great but they would require you to install Python and do some tweaking stuff to get them running. Id suggest moving onto those when your more comfortable with the app. The stuff Robs scripts do by nature are things that Gimp cant do easily which means that they are doing some pretty convoluted things.

What 'width' of shadows did you use, Rob? Mine were set at 50.
    I have to admit I didn't use the drop-shadow command. I just used the path tool to outline the area, turned it into a selection (there is a button in the path tool to do that), then filled it with a Foreground (black)->transparent gradient by eye (using the ctrl key to force the gradient tool orthagonal... that is a handy tip for most gimp actions... the control key forces things into 15 degree angle increments...)

-Rob A>

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    Robs scripts are great but they would require you to install Python and do some tweaking stuff to get them running. Id suggest moving onto those when your more comfortable with the app. The stuff Robs scripts do by nature are things that Gimp cant do easily which means that they are doing some pretty convoluted things.
    Actually, I think all of Rob's script's work out of the box since they are written scheme. But you are right, there are a few scripts (GURM is the big one for me) that require python and as you say, its a pain in the but to set up.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Much of this is like a foreign language just now, but I'll pick it up in time. It gives me some pointers of what to look out for.

Thanks for the tips.
    Mapping a Traveller ATU.

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    Nice Work!

I picked up a few tips at the Dundjinni user art forum while making this type of object.

Here is a rework of your throne:
    Attachment 11445

The only difference is in the shadows. I reduced the overall outer shadow.

Keep it a bit closer to the object then you had. I lightened it at the back of the throne, cause higher objects tend to cast a less distinct shadow.

I added shadows across the seat font and arms to give more illusion of height above the base.

I shaded the left and right of the base slightly to define the corners to the front.

All of this was done with new layers (the extra shadows/shading) or layer masks (reducing the existing shadows) to make it effectively "non-destructive" on the original image.

-Rob A>

Rob, I've done a re-work from scratch on the throne, reducing the 'wing effect' of the back and trying to copy the effects you've shown me here, but I'm struggling to find how you got a shadow on the front of the seat and one side of the arms. I can get all sorts of weird shadow effects, but not a straight shadow along an edge. How is it done? The only thing I can think of is to do a standard drop shadow and then mask off 3 sides of it, but I haven't mastered masks yet and there's probably an easier way.
    And I still haven't got the help file to load.
    Cheers.
    Mapping a Traveller ATU.

Never mind, I found it. It's just a simple offset on the drop shadow.

Now I just need to read those mask tutorials to find out how to lessen a shadow.
    Once I've got that bit done I'll repost the pic.
    Mapping a Traveller ATU.

Here we go.

I suppose I haven't put as many layers into this as I ought to for self-preservation, but I have the basic throne on one layer and each of the different shadows on new layers, so I'm getting there.

Having found how to do one-sided shadows, and having saved as an xcf this time, I've been able to play around with the shadows much more (I might still go back and lessen the shadows on the outside of the arms a bit) so it has helped a lot.

I read JF's mask tutorial and applied it to the top of the backrest. The 'face' of the backrest had a drop shadow on it which covered the top of the backrest, and I reduced this shadow by adding a slot shaped mask with a 50% grey slot and a 'marble layer'.

Of course, as I write this, I'm thinking 'idiot! why didn't you just remove the drop shadow and add a shadow to the lower edge only, now that you know how to do that?'

Ah, the benefit of hindsight! Still, it's given me some practice with adding channels and layer masks, and I can always go back and do it the right way later.

Anyway, I'm reasonably happy with this as a first Gimp project. It's given me the throne I wanted and I've learned some basic Gimp techniques along the way. I'll probably try adding some embellishments later, such as carved runes, but I think stage 1 is complete.

Thanks for the help on this, guys.

Just in case there's anyone out there who's even worse at drawing than me, you can use this on a CC by NC basis.

BTW, how does one go about rating a tutorial?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Small throne Final.png 
Views:	52 
Size:	58.0 KB 
ID:	11594  
    Mapping a Traveller ATU.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast