Quote Originally Posted by icosahedron View Post
Thanks for that Rob.

I have another problem with the Gimp.

I've tried to save my throne as a png with a drop shadow around it. I can save the throne with a transparent background, but as soon as I try to put a drop shadow around it and save, I get this popup:

If I choose to flatten, the background becomes white instead of clear, and if I choose to merge, Viewingdale's PNG to VMI converter has a "runtime error" whatever one of those is, when I try later to convert the PNG.

I don't know why I get the popup at all, because I've previously saved images with a drop shadow and it just saved ok.

Any idea what's happening?

Cheers.
Make sure you have a layer selected and NOT one of your channels. I accidentally do this once in while and you just have to go back to the Layers tab and select a layer. NOW... first... don't save it as a png cause then you can't easily edit the layers which eliminates the entire power of GIMP. Save the file before ANY CHANGES as a native gimp file (.xcf). Then as you make changes with new layers (if needed, depending on what you are trying to do), you using the Save a Copy menu setting to "transform" a copy of the native gimp file to another format such as png or jpeg.

If you still have problems, if you would save it as a xcf file, zip, and attach to your post I can take a look at it based on your steps.