Thread: Setting Gimp on the throne

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post Setting Gimp on the throne

Not sure if this is in the right section, but I'd like some very, very simple advice please, this is my first day with Gimp and I have no prior drawing experience to speak of.

I thought since I'm playing with the Gimp to see what it does, I might as well practise with something I want, so I had a go at the throne I put in the requests section (I'm still looking for offers btw, I doubt if this will turn out to be any good.)

Since there is no alabaster in the patterns area and I have no idea how to import a texture even if I could find one, I went with default marble.

I started by opening the throne image I'd created in Word Draw. There's no way I could draw a complex assembly of geometric shapes like that in the Gimp yet awhile, then I figured out how to use the lasso select and selected each of the shapes in turn. The fill tool works like MSPaint, so that was no problem, and I got each face of the throne filled with marble texture.

Whilst I had each area selected (cos there's no way I'd be able to accurately re-select it once I'd let go) I put a drop shadow on some of the parts. I know that's probably the wrong technique and I did see something called perspective shadow, but I couldn't make Gimp see what the shape was supposed to be to lay the correct shadow down. The drop shadow seemed to do it sort of nearly right anyway.

Then finally I lassoed the whole shape and put a drop shadow round all of it.

General comments and helpful suggestions for simple improvements please (and how to carry them out) particularly:

Is is possible accurately to re-select something once you've let go of it? How?

How do I darken/lighten selections (eg to make two sides of the plinth shadowy)?

How do I put shadowing on the top of the backrest to make it look like there are points at the two ends and in the middle?

How could I take some text (say in a runic font) and make it appear like it's carved into the arms of the chair? I'll worry about perspective carvings in the backrest later, that's probably a whole lot more difficult.

How do I make it look older?

If these techniques are beyond the novice, just give me a general pointer in the right direction and I'll try to pick it up later.

Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Throne3.png 
Views:	86 
Size:	59.9 KB 
ID:	11399  
    Last edited by icosahedron; 03-17-2009 at 12:55 PM.
    Mapping a Traveller ATU.

See my (fantasy-based) apprenticeship blog at:

http://www.viewing.ltd.uk/cgi-bin/vi...forums&sx=1024

Look for Chit Chat, Sandmann's blog. Enjoy.