Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: WIP World of Calen Ndor

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

You might look at some examples of the CC3 symbols for those types of terrain to get some inspiration.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Looks very nice.

Hrm. For grasslands, maybe small tufts of grass every now and then, with long, low hills (Mongolia isn't all flat). Fir shaped trees for northern climates, which can be dithered with lollipop style trees where they overlap.

Thanks for the suggestions and links

I have made a very rough pattern for the two forest types, added some dunes, some grassland and some swamp. Nothing is final yet but i'm just trying things out and building it up so it looks a bit of a mess at the moment i'm afraid.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Calen Ndor copy.png 
Views:	176 
Size:	731.9 KB 
ID:	11993

Are you going to adjust the borders of those trees? The pattern clipping there bugs me. Some dodge brushing to burn off the gray bits, and then just paint pure white to adjust the outlines... yeeeees. And then we could draw a small compass here, maybe a small navy to fill up the sea here, an army here. Conscripts from every city flowing into our irregulars, an army so huge it lends legitimacy to itself through might-is-right, under our command! Yes! Then, as I stand before them, and lift my hand, a hundred thousand boots will stomp down in unison, and the armies of Conquest will roll out and cover the world under its feet!

oh and one of your rivers is tapered assbackwards

Quote Originally Posted by Naeddyr View Post
    Are you going to adjust the borders of those trees? The pattern clipping there bugs me.
    Yes definitely, but at this stage making a quick pattern lets me see how things are coming along. I'm going to be redrawing the mountains so I'm not finalising things yet, hence the warning its a bit of a mess at the moment

oh and one of your rivers is tapered assbackwards
    Really? Can you point out where please because i can't spot it.

Korba

The small twice-brancher in the southwest corner, and a couple of river branches in the two rivers to the west from that one.

The small twice-brancher in the southwest corner, and a couple of river branches in the two rivers to the west from that one.
    Thanks for that

I have redone the rivers so they taper properly and have redrawn the mountains. I'm part way through shading them. The North West line are how the rest should look when I'm finished. Hopefully there is enough variety in the shape and shadows this time.

Views:	152 
Size:	461.8 KB 
ID:	12068

Wow, this stuff is brilliant. You’ve given me lots to think about in my own attempt. Hope you carry on adding to this thread!

I’m noticing one thing about coastline; I think that technique for generating random coastline would work better for smaller geographic areas. The larger the continent, the lesser the variations are to my eye, producing very blocky continents. Maybe a similar technique using different tools could be applied first, to get large outlines of continental areas, then the coastal areas could be refined by the current method.

In terms of routing rivers, did you use any specific functions or did you just sketch them freely based on educated guesses?

Tutorial

Thank you Girltron.

This is my first world map and scale has been an issue for me. Only having done regional type maps before this is a learning process for me as i go. Looking back i would have changed my coastal outlines but there is no way I'm doing that tectonics again for a while so they stay

Latest progress, rivers tweaked and the mountains are finished (crosses fingers).

Views:	186 
Size:	504.1 KB 
ID:	12089

Next to come is the forests, i think i have some ideas how I'm going to do them to represent boreal -> deciduous -> semi arid -> scrub

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast